Summary: This fountain was commissioned by God Himself before He ever created the world. IT IS NOT A FOUNTAIN OF WATER -- IT IS A FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD. Zechariah’s prophecy tells us of the climax of God’s revelation of his plan of salvation - it’s the crux of the Gospel.
TITLE: THERE IS A FOUNTAIN
SCRIPTURE: ZECHARIAH 13:1
In this magnificent passage, Zechariah states “A FOUNTAIN WILL BE OPENED.” When we think of the word “fountain,” we probably have in mind a fountain in a public park that sprays water into the air, somewhat like the Splash Pads we see in various parks throughout our city that children and families enjoy during warmer months in Oklahoma.
• But in the Bible the word means something closer to what we would refer to as a “SPRING”
• The “Fountain” in our text refers to the source of PURE – CLEAN - REFRESHING WATER
What is this Fountain Zechariah began to Prophecy about? Where would this Fountain be located that he makes reference in this text? Was he referencing that FOUNTAIN LOCATED IN ROME THAT IS CALLED TREVI FOUNTAIN -- PERHAPS THE MOST FAMOUS FOUNTAIN IN THE WORLD.
• It stands 85 feet high and 65 feet wide
• It was commissioned to be built by Pope Urban VIII in 1629
• But work wasn’t begun until 1732
• It took 100 years to build
There are superstitions that are connected with this fountain that was the center point for the movie, “Three Coins In The Fountain.”
• If a visitor throws a coin into the fountain it supposedly insures they will return to Rome in the future
• It is considered lucky to throw three coins with one’s right hand over one’s left shoulder
• Over 3,000 Euros are collected from the fountain each day – little over $3,500 American Dollars daily
There is a fountain in Peterhof, Russia, a Russian city that is known for its lavish fountains.
• In front of its most famous one, the Grand Cascade is a sculpture of SAMSON tearing open the jaws of a lion
• This beautiful fountain was commissioned at the order of TSAR PETER
There is a fountain in Chicago called Buckingham Memorial Fountain that was built in 1927.
• It has underground pumps that are able to jet the water to heights of 150 feet into the air
• It has beautifully sculpted seahorses that spray the water and the beauty of the fountain at night is enhanced by the ever changing colored lights
Of course there is that fountain that many have travelled to see, located in Las Vegas. It is a dazzling display of water and lights that are choreographed to opera - broadway -- classical music.
• It is considered to be an entertainment wonder
• Can I FOOTNOTE for a moment since we are talking about Las Vegas?
• If you feel like shouting during any point during this sermon, go ahead and shout, because “What Ever Happens At First Baptist, Stays At First Baptist
My brothers and sisters, I don’t think any of those fountains is what Zechariah had in mind. I don’t believe he had seen any of those fountains as he began to give a Prophetic Word to God’s people. Although the fountains I have mentioned are quite beautiful and magnificent and attract millions of tourists each year, I don’t believe this is what Zechariah had seen as he was given a glimpse of the future.
Let me call to your attention there is another fountain.
• One that is more Beautiful
• One that is Far more Significant
• One that is Absolutely essential to our relationship with God
This fountain was commissioned by God Himself before He ever created the world. IT IS NOT A FOUNTAIN OF WATER -- IT IS A FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD. Zechariah’s prophecy tells us of the climax of God’s revelation of his plan of salvation - it’s the crux of the Gospel.
• But it was no afterthought to deal with sinful mankind
• It had been conceived in the Eternal Council of Almighty God even before the foundation of the world to bring redemption to His lost creation
• It’s what the writer to the Hebrews described as ‘SO GREAT SALVATION’
But before we discover its sheer wonder and splendor we must ask and answer a few questions. Zechariah specifically states this special fountain was ‘TO CLEANSE FROM SIN AND IMPURITY.’ The Bible’s description of ‘sin’ is that which ‘misses the mark’; it ‘falls short of the glory of God’ -- Romans 3:23. And ‘impurity’ is a word which sums up all those things which are dis-honoring to God; those things which defile mankind.
• So Zechariah says, because of that we need to find our way to A Fountain
• He says, There is a Fountain that is able to Cleanse us
This had been the problem ever since the fall of mankind in Eden. There has never been a man or woman in the world who has been able to stand up to Satan, the arch-enemy of God. Generation after generation came and went proving that mankind was in bondage to sin and incapable of dealing with inbred sin, even though increasingly blessed with the resources of mind and matter.