Summary: Independance Day, 2008
There is freedom to be celebrated!
- This past weekend many celebrated their freedom on the lake, at friends’ houses, or simply at home relaxing and taking the day off.
- This morning, let’s examine TRUE freedom not given by a country – but by a God that loves you more than words could ever express.
- Freedom from God is freedom from ALL sin!
v17 - Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
Point 1 – Celebrate!
- God has given us an incredible gift, left to us by His Son, so that we would be FREE
-- God’s freedom had a price; but it is now offered free to all who would receive
- Paul understood this freedom because he experienced the delivery in Acts 9
- From the moment he has that vision of the Lord, he was liberated and free, forever
-- Are you free? Have you been released?
- When Jesus gave us the Spirit, he gave us power – he made us different from the world
- God expects us to be different because we were bought with a price; His Son
- When we live our life, we ought to live like we are free!
-- No more are we to act like a slave to the world; we have been set apart ...
Point 2 – Freedom Exemplified
- Martin Luther King expressed freedom through his I Have a Dream Speech
- He spoke of a freedom that one day would come to all who live in this nation
- In other nations of the world freedom is not free; it doesn’t exist in other places
- Yet, as a believer – YOU can be free wherever you are! Do you know that?
- Are you living like you are free or are you being brought under bondage by sin?
- The freedom Paul speaks of is yours when you have Jesus
-- Do you have Him? Are you happy about it?
-- Are you declaring this to others?
v18 - And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
Point 3 – Are you glowing in God’s presence?
- In v16, there is a reference to Moses having to wear a veil; let’s look at why
- Turn to Exodus 34:29-35 (Read) – This veil was worn because …
- Note the removal when not in God’s presence; because he was honest with God
- He was transparent and transformed before a holy and righteous God
- Paul refers to this very same happening
-- There should be glory on our faces!!
-- There must be something different about you!
- When we are free; we are happy - When we are free; we rejoice
- How is your freedom level today? How are you showing your freedom?
- Many placed flags about their homes this weekend, wore patriotic colors; even enjoyed some great weather here in central Alabama
- But, when it comes to celebrating God’s glory and freedom – are we quiet/reserved?
- Friday night the bible study that met discussed getting out; we discussed showing what we believe to a world that so desperately needs Jesus Christ
- Would you be willing? Could we show that freedom’s glow today? (Singers)
- Could we demonstrate the freedom we have so freely as we declare that we are proud to be Americans?
- There is freedom in the Spirit ... We are free indeed!