Summary: Why the Blood?
Heb 9:16-28 There is Power in the Blood
I. There is Power in the Blood to Purify us for God
16For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.
A. Requires the blood of the Covenant Maker - Christ the Great High Priest
18Therefore not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood. 19For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.”
B. Required blood at the first Covenant
21Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry. 22And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
C. Requires shed blood today
1. Forgiveness is found only in the blood
2. Removal (washing) is found only in the blood
II. There is Power in the Blood to Prepare us for God
23Therefore it was necessary that the copies of the things in the heavens should be purified with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us;
A. As our high priest
25not that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood of another—
B. As our sacrifice
26He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
III. There is Power in the Blood to Present us to God
27And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, 28so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
ILL>> Salvation - Real or Counterfeit - List of Counterfeit - by Evan. Bill Sturn --
1 denominational salvation - Q- “Are you saved?” A= I am a Baptist -Methodist, Church of God
Baptist go to hell every day. You have to be a blood washed believer!
2. sincere salvation - Rom 10:1-3 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
How do we get the real thing?
1. We need to be saved. We are all born sinners.- “For all have sinned” - we are all going to hell...
2. Man must be invited. (John 6:44 KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:
(Eph 2:8 KJV) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: