Summary: Profanity & calling on the name of God
Ex 20:7 -Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain
- People curse God’s Name
- In all of filthy language it is the only name that is used
- Use it in vain
- “O God”
- But the name of Jesus is used much worst as a curse
- First “Jesus” Then to add emphasis “Jesus Christ”
- Note: No one says "What in Allah's name is going on?" No one
texts "OMB" for "Oh My Buddha." These facts help to prove the case that Christianity is the truth, and all else is false.
- Jesus' name has the power and punch behind it to matter.
First list of names in the bible – Gen. 5
• The list begins with Seth, which means "Appointed."
• Enosh, his son, means "Mortal;" and
• His son, Kenan, means "Sorrow."
• His son Mahalalel, means "The Blessed God."
• He named his boy Jared which means "Came Down," and
• His boy, Enoch, means "Teaching."
• Methuselah, as we saw, means "His death shall bring;"
• Lamech means "Strength," and
• Noah, "Comfort."
Now put that all together:
God has Appointed that Mortal man shall Sorrow; but The Blessed God, Came Down, Teaching, that His Death Shall Bring, Strength and Comfort.
- Jesus Name Above All Names
- All Hail the power of Jesus Name
- There is something About That Name
- His name is Wonderful
(Mt 1:21) “His NAME (is) JESUS, for it is He Who will save His
people from their sins.”
(Jn 1:12) “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to
become children of God, even to those who BELIEVE in His NAME.”
(Jn 3:16) “Whoever BELIEVES in Him shall not perish but have
(Jn 20:31) “These things have been written that you may BELIEVE
that JESUS is the Christ (Messiah), the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His NAME.”
(Acts 4:12) “There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other
NAME under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.”
(Php 2:9-11) “God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the
NAME which is above every name that at the NAME of Jesus EVERY KNEE SHOULD BOW, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
(Acts 10:43) “Everyone who BELIEVES in Him receives forgiveness
(1Jn 5:13) “These things I have written to you who BELIEVE in the
NAME of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.”
Romans 10:13 (AV)
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Day of Pentecost – Peter speaking quoting from Joel 2:32
Acts 2:21 (AV)
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Jesus is rich and plenteous in mercy, and ready to dispense his grace and salvation to all who call
-It is depending upon the one who can save
1. Calling on the name of the Lord Means ABILITY