Summary: thou shalt call his name JESUS
Matthew 1:18-25 THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
1. THE Sovereignty OF THE NAME - thou shalt call his name JESUS:
In Jewish culture as well as ours, it is parents who name their child (a) Joseph - 20 behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS
(b) Mary - Luke 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. - This child was named by His father. (God Himself)
2. THE Significance OF THE NAME - 21 thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save
Jesus is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew name Joshua. "Jehovah the Saviour or "Jehovah Saves His People"
(a) Personnal - He (Alone) shall save, (b) Provisional - his people (c) Powerful - from their sins, (d) Practical - from their sins Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- Sin destroys our Relationship with God
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
- Sin destroys our Relationship with Others
- Sin destroys our Relationship with Ourselves
- Sin causes some to think too Highly of themselves (Pride, arrogance, haughtiness) - The Pharisee - not as other men - Sin causes some to think too Lowly of themselves - No Hope 1Tim 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
3. THE Suitability OF THE NAME -
- Fulfilled through His Miraculous Birth - Born of a Virgin (Isa 7:14)
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Fulfilled through His Sinless Life (2 Cor 5:21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (1 John 3:5) And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
- Fulfilled through His Substitutionary Death (Rom 5:8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us
4. THE Salvation OF THE NAME - (Rom 10:13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- The Power to Save from the Penalty of Sin
- The Power to Save from the Power of Sin
- The Power to Save from the Presence of Sin
5. THE Sanctification OF THE NAME -
1. WE ARE SAVED BY SOMETHING: GRACE Eph. 2:8
2. WE ARE SAVED THROUGH SOMETHING: FAITH Eph. 2:8
3. WE ARE SAVED FROM SOMETHING: SIN Matt. 1:21
4. WE ARE SAVED TO SOMETHING: SONSHIP John 1:12
5. WE ARE SAVED FOR SOMETHING: SERVICE 1 Cor. 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.