Summary: A sermon focusing on the name of Jesus from Philippians 2
“THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME…& IT AIN’T DONALD OR HILLARY!” Phil. 2:5-11
INTRO – Prov. 22:1 – “A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, & favor is better than silver or gold.”
When we go into the voting booth Tuesday, we will look at a list of names & have to choose which of those names represents someone who is the best person to lead our nation. Neither of the top 2 names of those running for President are names that are good names according to the unchanging biblical standards of decency, holiness, & morality. So, pray, hold your nose, vote, & TRUST GOD W/ THE OUTCOME! He is the one who is ultimately in control & we can trust Him.
- Prov. 21:1 – “The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will.”
- Dan. 2:21 – “He changes times and seasons; He removes kings and sets up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding…”
There is one thing that we can bank on about both of the names that we’ve heard so much about every day on the news & in the media: Neither the name Donald nor Hillary is the Name that is above all names! There is only ONE name that fits that definition – JESUS!
- “[Jesus Christ] is the reason, the goal, the aim, the intent, the point, the purpose, the end, the terminus, the consummation and culmination of every molecule that moves (Col. 1:16).” (Sam Storms)
- “God, in His love and grace, has made us a part of His plan. But we are not the center of it; Christ is.” (Dan Stone)
There truly is something about that name! So let’s talk about that name:
It’s a HOLY name – There are a lot of Hispanic men whose name is Jesus. They’re ordinary, sinful men, living their lives in a myriad of different ways.
- Jesus Ortiz – sports columnist
- Jesus Ramirez – digital graphics expert w/ Adobe
- Jesus Montero – professional baseball player
Even the name “Jesus” in was a common name in biblical times. It was about as common to those in Judea as “John” is to us today. That name didn’t have the significance to them in that time as it does to us today.
But isn’t it amazing how God takes the ordinary & makes it extraordinary. He takes the common & makes it uncommon. He takes the unremarkable & makes it remarkable.
The name, Jesus, now is the most holy name in the whole universe. There is no other name which inspires more worship than the name Jesus. There is no other name which engenders more passionate commitment than the name Jesus. There is no other name which instills more courage & faith than the name Jesus. The holy name of Jesus is the name that changes everything in our lives!
- His name is holy b/c He is God – God the Son, 2nd person of Trinity – “in very nature God”
- His name is holy b/c He is Lord – Master
- His name is holy b/c He is the Christ – Messiah, the Chosen One