Summary: Are you a thermostat or a thermometer? Thermometers are required to tell the temperature around them. Thermostats are created to control the space around them. When tough times come, are you a person who remain joyful because you know that God has ever
Thermostat or a Thermometer?
When tough times come in our lives:
I. Do not bail out. (1:16)
a. Easy way vs. right way
1. The Easy exit looks good, but the stay is worth the wait.
b. What would you have done?
1. Personally at that time of the story I would have definitely left Naomi. ref. Study bible v 8&9.
c. Rededicate [reaffirm] your commitment to God. (1:17)
1. It’s always good to verbalize what you want to do in life. The
more you say it, the more you will believe it and the more likely you are to achieve it.
2. Its more important because when you say it out loud not only do you hear it, but God hears it (not that he doesn’t know what you are thinking, but you have put that thought into action and God knows that you are serious and that you are making him number one, not the situation. Also the devil hears it, once he knows you are serious he has to begin to back down.
3. It lifts your spirit up. The bigger you make God the smaller your problems will be. [Umbrella illustration]
II. Don’t get depressed. (1:20-21))
a. Try to understand there is a big picture. [not try to understand it]
1. Everything happens for a reason. This is very much easier said than done. The best example is Jesus died. What came out of it!
b. Testimony only comes when you have a test.
1. If God never brought you out of something how can you TRULY know his power? Example: I say that childbirth does not hurt.
c. Don’t over look what you do have, for what you don’t have.
1. This is just the “big picture” theory all over again.
III. Don’t just wait on the Lord (2:2)
a. Take the initiative.
1. Ruth took it upon herself to make herself at home in a foreign
land. A land, no less where widows weren’t treated in a Proper manner. She wasn’t afraid to admit her need. When something happens its usually leaves us in a state of “need”.
2. Jesus took the initiative to come down to earth. We didn’t have to go to him first.
b. Work while you are waiting.
1. Ruth had to glean for her food. Gleaning wasn’t an easy process [explain]. Ruth could have easily sat back and said. I am in Naomi’s town, she knows where to get food let her do it. Instead she worked for not only what she needed, she also got enough for Naomi as well.
2. If you are waiting for God to provide, consider this: He may be waiting for you to take the first step to demonstrate just how important your need is.
IV. I +II+III = God stepping in a blessing you.
a. Showing loyalty to God by waiting only makes him want to bless you.
Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
b. Get control before you get depressed.
Psalms 42:5 Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again.
c. You get nothing by doing nothing.
Proverbs 12:11 Hard work means prosperity; only fools idle away their time.
d. Ruth’s Loyalty, diligence and hard word put her in line for a blessing. (2:8,15)
1. Not only did Ruth get enough food. Soon after that she was married again. Her husband is now one of the wealthiest and influential men in Bethlehem. The Bible doesn’t say it but I am sure this affected Naomi as well.
2. Ruth also gave birth to a son named Obed, Obed had a son named Jesse, and Jesse had a son named David. If Ruth had gave up David would not have been born.
Are you a thermostat or a thermometer? Thermometers are required to tell the temperature around them. That’s what they are programmed to do. That is a problem I saw in myself for a long time. I notice it in a lot of people I talk to. Thanks to the power of God I am now a thermostat. What does I mean by a thermostat? Thermostats are created to control the space around them. They determine how they are going to feel. Its up to them to feel sad and down, defeated or to feel completely comfortable in their Christian walk, and say that no matter what comes my way I know that my strength comes from God. My provisions come from God. My needs come from God, and he knows exactly what I need. What are you?