Summary: When we get thirsty for God He will pour His Spirit on us
Thirsty for God September 23, 2001
Text: Isaiah 44:3 Sunday Morning
Nov. 4, 2001 Sunday night.
Introduction: Abundant Life A/G Merkel, Tx
1. When I think about the word thirsty my mind goes back to some interesting times in my life like, a Royal Ranger hiking event a couple years ago, or when I was in track or football practice as a teenager, or when my family and I was coming back from Big Bend National park in the summer time with NO AIR CONDITIONER.
1. Words like desperation come to mind
2. Agitation, passion, and aggression can all happen at the same time when you thirsty
2. I want to speak to you about being thirsty for God, where words like desperation, passionate, violent, and aggressive can be used to define the meaning of thirst for God
3. Some examples of thirst for God:
1. David in Psalm 27:4— One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.
2. The women with issue of blood in Mark 5:25-29— Now a certain woman had a flow of blood for twelve years, and had suffered many things from many physicians. She had spent all that she had and was no better, but rather grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came behind Him in the crowd and touched His garment; for she said, "If only I may touch His clothes, I shall be made well." Immediately the fountain of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of the affliction.
3. Paul the Apostle in Philippians 3:7-10— But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death
4. In the message today I want to look at one verse of scripture from Isaiah 44 that speaks of thirsting for God and what that brings
1. Water will be poured on him who is thirsty
1. Water— the Spirit of God
2. If you are thirsty for God, God will pour out His Spirit on you— personal revival,. the manifest presence of God, blessings, power and anointing
3. Matthew 5:6— Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled
WHEN A PERSON IS THIRSTY THINGS LIKE WORSHIP, PRAYER AND SEEKING THE LORD, FASTING GOING TO CHURCH, LOVING THE WORD ARE SEEN BEING PURSUED
4. A key point here in the verse. If the rest of the verse is to happen then we must first be thirsty and have water poured on us. Cp. John 7:37-39— On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.