Summary: A short sermon for Christmas. Jesus the bringer of peace.
Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
By Pastor Mike Ansley
Text Isaiah 9:6-7
• We live in a time when peace seems to be in such short supply.
• Fighting in the Check Republic, the Middle East, riots on our city streets, fighting and conflict in our homes.
• We even have conflict within ourselves.
• What is the answer? What do we do? Is there an answer?
• This is just one symptom of a people that have turned from God.
• The good news! God has a plan.
• Part of that plan was told to us long before it happened.
• God told the prophet Isaiah His plan and Isaiah wrote these words.
Isaiah 9:6-7 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
• Now we are gathered at this time to celebrate the birth of this child that Isaiah spoke about.
• We are here to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, He who is called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
• This child that was born has brought peace to countless lives over the last 2000 years.
• This child that was born has lifted so many from the pits of despair and brought them to a place of peace.
• This child that was born has shown so many that have had a raging battle within to the point where they wanted to kill themselves, their true worth and value, and has given them peace.
• This child that was born has taken families that have been on the verge of breaking up or worse, destroying each other, and has brought peace and healing to them and has changed them into families that love and care for each other.
• This child that was born grew to be a man that healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, caused the lame to walk, and cause the dead to rise.
• This child that was born was worshiped while in a manger, grew into a man, died on the cross, rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven and is still worshiped today by countless people.
• No one in all of history has had the power to change so many lives and give so many people peace in their lives.
• This child that was born when he had grown into a man gave himself as a living sacrifice so that mankind could have peace with each other, peace in their lives, and most importantly have peace with the Everlasting Father in heaven.
• We all want peace, but a pill will not give it, a bottle of Jack Daniels will not give it, and man cannot give it. Nothing on this earth can give you that lasting peace that we all seek and long for.
• Only this child that was born, only the one who is called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
• Only Jesus can give us the true peace we all desire and need.
Ills: In 1555, Nicholas Ridley was burned at the stake because of his witness for Christ. On the night before Ridley's execution, his brother offered to remain with him in the prison chamber to be of assistance and comfort. Nicholas declined the offer and replied that he meant to go to bed and sleep as quietly as ever he did in his life. Because he knew the peace of God, he could rest in the strength of the everlasting arms of his Lord to meet his need. So can we!
• When one accepts Jesus for who He truly is, it is then that you can truly say with all assurance:
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for you alone Oh Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
• So please join me now as we celebrate the birth of this child, the one whom this Christmas season is all about, Jesus who is Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.