Summary: This message deals with the importance of the Holy Spirit’s presence in the believer’s life to be effective in our efforts in ministry.
Scripture: Acts 2:16
Title: “This Is That”
Introduction: I am fully persuaded that the disciples of Jesus failed to understand everything that Jesus said to them during the time they spent together.
· I am also fully persuaded they stood in awe at the miracles Jesus performed before their very eyes during the three years they spent together.
· I believe they developed a loving relationship with Jesus far beyond anything we can imagine.
· I believe they began every day with great expectation of what Jesus might do that day.
· Then, one day, Jesus told them He was going to leave them! – Surely not! (Death, Resurrection, Ascension) (What did all this mean?)
· Jesus promised them He would not leave them as ‘orphans’, but SEND them “Another Comforter” after He was gone. – John 14:16
· Then, one day, everything Jesus had told them concerning His Death, Burial, Resurrection, and Ascension began unfolding like the pages in a book!
· It was like a train-wreck of death and devastation; Jesus nailed to a cross, Jesus died, Jesus Buried! (All this had probably pushed the precious promises of Jesus completely out of their thoughts)
· Fear of the Jews and rumors of the body of Jesus being stolen from the grave had driven the disciples into hiding behind closed doors. Jn. 20:19
“Preparation For Pentecost”
MAIN POINT – (“40 days of Infallible Proofs Begins!”) Acts 1:3
· “Jesus shows up, unexpectedly the day of His resurrection, the doors being locked” Jn. 20:19
· He speaks “Peace” to their troubled hearts to encourage them.
· He shows them His “Nailed Pierced Hands & Wounded Side” which begins the “Proving Process.” (This is a Very Necessary Process to prepare the disciples)
· Right off the bat Jesus did something very special to prepare the disciples to get them to the UPPER ROOM – “And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:”
· This was (“A”) filling with the Spirit for power until the regularized relationship of the Spirit began at Pentecost.
· No doubt this was a sample of what was to come on the Day of Pentecost to help them to know the FULL BLESSING of the Holy Spirit’s Presence when it came! – Ps. 34:8 “O taste and see that the LORD is good:”
· Then, at the end of the 40 days of TEACHINGS of the Kingdom of God and the undeniable proofs, as Jesus and His disciples were standing atop the Mount of Olivet outside the city of Jerusalem Jesus began to ascend into the heavens leaving them standing with their mouths gaping open with awe!
· As they stood gazing upward into heaven two angels appeared beside them and said, “Just as you saw Jesus leaving, He will return in like manner!” (More encouragement!)
“The Waiting Process Is A Must”
· Luke 24:49 “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”
· Notice Acts 1:8 “But ye shall receive power, after (when) that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
· Jesus knew these things had to happen for the CLIMATE to be created to place a HUNGER in the hearts of the disciples to become PREPARED for MINISTRY.
· It took more than seeing the risen Jesus and touching His scars and His riven side.
· It took more than hearing the teachings of Christ concerning the Kingdom
· All the things Jesus did and taught before the Ascension placed a hunger in the hearts of the disciple that drove them to the upper room.
· It is very obvious GOOD THINGS happened during the DAYS spent in the UPPER ROOM!
· It took the action of obedience of going to the upper room and praying until . . .
· Do not fail to WAIT (Tarry) at Jerusalem UNTIL you are endued with Power! Lk. 24:49
· They were STILL TOGETHER in ONE ACCORD in ONE PLACE! (Not scattered!)
“This Is That!”
· “SUDDENLY!” – “There came a SOUND from Heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.” (Noise!)
· “And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.” (Sight!)
· “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”(POWER!) (Something they could FEEL!)
· This SOUND as of a Mighty Wind, the Speaking with Other Tongues, the Praising God, the Rejoicing had CAUSED a “Stir” among the people of the Feast!