Summary: How the Word gives us life
Josh. 1:8 “Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed.”
The book is the book of the law. “Study this Book of the Law continually.”
THIS BOOK involves our Mouths “It shall not depart out of your mouth.”
THIS BOOK includes our Minds “Meditate on it day and night.”
THIS BOOK indicates our actions “be sure to obey all that is written in it.” “so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it and making sure you practice everything written in it.”
THIS BOOK AND a prosperous LIFE – “for then thou shall make thy way prosperous, and then thou shall have good success.” “Only then will you succeed. Then you’ll get where you’re going; then you’ll succeed.”
Last eve I paused before a blacksmith’s door
and heard the anvil ring the vesper chime.
And looking in, I saw old hammers on the floor,
Worn by the beating years of time.
“How many anvils have you had,” said I,
“To wear and batter all these hammers so?”
“Just one,” said he, then with a twinkle in his eyes,
“The anvil wears the hammers out you know.”
And so I thought, the anvil of God’s word,
For ages skeptic blows have beat upon.
Yet though the noise of falling blows was heard
The anvil is unharmed—the hammers gone!
I want to talk to you about the most important book in your possession – the Bible.
I want to talk to you about the book most likely to change your life for the good – this Bible. I want to talk to you about the book that is the best weapon against sin – this Bible. I want to talk to you about the Book that presents God, God’s plans, Gods instructions, and Gods’ salvation – this Bible. I want to talk to you about the book that should motivate you, inspire you, teach you, comfort you, and encourage you – this Bible!
What do we know about the Bible?
1. It is the only inspired Word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God.” 2 PT 1:21 “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
2. It is a profitable Book. 2 Tim. 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
3. It educates. Rom. 15:4 “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
4. It has power beyond us. Heb.4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
5. It changes one’s life completely. 1 PT 1:23 “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides for ever.”
6. It is a guide. PS 119:105 “Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
7. It purifies against sin. PS 119:11 “Your word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against You.