Summary: Understanding when families or members of the Church leave.
THOSE THAT LEFT HIM
Jn. 6:66 “From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.”
INTRO: We know that Jesus is the Son of God. His ministry here on earth was successful even unto the cross. But, his earthly ministry still wasn’t one without problems. We read many Scriptures about people that specifically told Jesus, “NO.” Others, as this Scripture tells us that many of his disciples no longer followed him. The interesting question is, “Why?” Why did disciples stop following him? This were individuals that had followed him already for more than a year. They were disciples! If they left him; will they also leave us?
I. WHY DID THEY LEFT HIM?
A. This is a hard teaching
1. Jn. 6:60 “On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”
2. We can’t compromise the Word of God
3. We love the sinner but hate sin
4. We do forgive, we do love everybody, we do restore individuals
B. Because He told them their true motives in following him
1. Jn. 6:26 “Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.”
2. NOT because they believed in him
3. NOT because of the signs he did
4. It was only because He fed them
5. We cannot serve God by what He gives us or what am I going to receive of this?
C. They left him because they didn’t reach their carnal goals
1. Jn. 6:70-71 “Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)”
2. 1 Pe. 5:8 “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.”
3. We have carnal goals and spiritual goals
i. Phil. 3:13 “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,”
4. When you set your eyes on the spiritual goals God will bless you
i. Mat. 6:33 “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
5. Judas didn’t reach his carnal goals so he betrayed Jesus
6. People didn’t reached their carnal goals so they left
7. How many Christians do we know that committed themselves in serving the Lord only for love?
8. We have to understand where God wants us not where we want to be at!
II. WHY DID OTHERS CONTINUED FOLLOWING HIM?
A. He had the Word of God
1. Jn. 6:68 “Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
2. We cannot give more then the Word of God
3. We are to say only what God tells us not more
B. They knew that God was with him
1. Jn. 3:2 “He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
2. They knew that God had appointed him not man
3. They were following a Man of God
C. Signs followed him
1.“Still, many in the crowd put their faith in him. They said, “When the Christ comes, will he do more miraculous signs than this man?”