Summary: "Thou shalt not kill."
Exodus 20 v 13
• Commandments one and two are in the sphere of thought.
• Commandment three is in the sphere of word.
• Commandments four and five are in the sphere of deed.
In the second five Commandments the order is reversed.
• Commandments six, seven and eight are in the sphere of deed.
• Commandment nine is in the sphere of word.
• Commandment ten is in the sphere of thought.
The first five Commandments are all positive and the second five are in the negative.
First five emphasise the sanctity of God the second five emphasise the sanctity of our neighbour.
The first five show our duty to God, the second five show our duty to man.
• The Sixth Commandment concerns the sanctity of our neighbour’s person, "Thou shalt not kill."
• The Seventh Commandment concerns the sanctity of our neighbour’s purity, "Thou shalt not commit adultery."
• The Eight Commandment concerns the sanctity of our neighbour’s property, "Thou shalt not steal."
• The Ninth Commandment concerns the sanctity of our neighbour’s position," Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
• The Tenth Commandment concerns the sanctity of our of our neighbours place, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."
These commandments emphasise God’s provision for the well being of mankind.
Exodus 20 v.13 "Thou shalt not kill."
1. THE REACH OF THE COMMAND - "Thou shalt not murder"
(a) Physically - Genesis 4 v. 8 "And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him."
Webster - "The unlawful and malicious or premeditated killing of one human being by another."
There are many types of murderers. Drunk drivers implicate also those who sell alcohol.
Murder can be committed by our hands like Joab, we should guard our hands.
Murder can be committed in our minds.
1 John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
Our tongues can commit murder.
John 18:30 They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.
The pen can commit murder.
2 Samuel 12:9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
You can have murder by intention.
Matthew 2:8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
Matthew 2:13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.