Summary: This is a message to prepare everyone for what is to come.
Three Divine Appointments
Hebrews 9:24-28 AC 9/18/2011 Mark Eddy
Intro: Did anybody have an appointment this week? If so did you get a reminder call? Did anyone have to cancel an appointment? We have a funeral director that is a client and I told him I would love to see people keep their appointments with me like I am sure they do with you!
* Given the many details which a presidential inaugural committee must cope with, mistakes are inevitable. So it was that Franklin Delano Roosevelt received an invitation to his own January 20, 1937 presidential inauguration! Through the White House social bureau, he solemnly sent word that the press of official business would keep him away. Then, relenting, he sent a further note in his own handwriting: “I have rearranged my engagements and think I may be able to go. Will know definitely January 19. F.D.R.” Today in the Word, April 12, 1992
Trans: Let me be the computerized call that reminds you of three appointments that we must keep.
I. Divine Appointment With Death 27a
A. It is appointed unto men once to die…
B. This appointment may come unexpectedly soon!
1. I am scheduled to attend a clients funeral (my other job is as an insurance agent) this afternoon. He was only 36 years young
2. While looking through the funeral listings it is amazing to see how many young…
C. One of us will be the first but none of us knows which one it will be.
D. Unless the Lord Jesus returns all of us will have to keep this divine appointment.
E.” The boast of heraldry, the pomp of power, and all that beauty, all that wealth e’er gave. Await alike the inevitable hour, the paths of glory lead but to the grave!” Thomas Gray
F. It is the wise person who prepares ahead of time for this appointment.
1. Those who prepare realize that death does not end your responsibilities.
2. If we would stop to think about going away forever we would treat others differently
3. It is the most important trip you can ever prepare for so put some thought into it.
G. *Death for the believer is like a bumble bee with the stinger taken out 1Co 15:53-57 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
II. Divine Appointment With Judgment 27b
A. After the certain appointment with death we will face another appointment…
B. “ …after this the judgment”
C. We will all appear at one of two judgments
1. Believers are appointed to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Ro 14:10, 12 For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ…So then everyone of us shall give account of himself to God. [the context is believers]. This corresponds with 1Co 3:11-15 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
2. There will be another appointment called the Great White Throne Judgment which will be for all who die without Christ. Rev 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.