Summary: This message discusses three dynamics of our new covenant with God. It is a part of my series from the book of hebrews.
TEXT: HEBREWS 8:1-13
TITLE: ”Three Dynamics of the New Covenant”
SERIES; “OH, WHAT A SAVIOR”
I. BETTER PROMISES (V.6)
A. The promise of a better ministry (vs. 1-2).
1. Our High Priest is in the position of power in Heaven (v.1).( Acts 7:55)
2. Our High Priest ministers in the temple made by God (v.2).
B. The promise of a better sacrifice (vs. 3-4)
1. The better sacrifice was made by our Heavenly High Priest.
3. The better sacrifice completely atones for sin.
C. The promise of a better Mediator (vs. 5-6)
1. Christ mediates for us in the temple that the earthly temple was only a type and shadow.
2. Our mediator is none other than the eternal Son of God.
II. BETTER PLANS (VS. 7-10).
A. Better plans confirmed through a New covenant with His people (vs. 7-9)
1. The new covenant replaces the old faulty covenant.
a. The old covenant was faulty because of man’s inability to keep it. (Rom. 3:10-12,23)
b. Failure to keep the Old Covenant resulted in condemnation.(Rom. 6:23)
B. Better plans evidenced by changing a person from the inside–out (v.10a).
1. By recreating us, he changes the desires of our heart and mind.
a. The process begins with the new birth.
1) The Old man dies and a new one is born (2 Cor. 5:17)
2) The new man is continually being renewed in the image of Christ.( 2 Corinthians 4:16)
3) The ultimate goal is that we will become like Jesus.
C. Better plans Confirmed by a new relationship with His people (v.10b).
III. BETTER PERFORMANCE (VS. 11-13).
A. Better performance because of personal knowledge (v. 11).
1. It is not a second-hand knowledge imparted by others (ginwskw), but a personal knowledge (eidw) that comes from a relationship with God.( 1 John 5:20)
B. Better performance because of complete forgiveness (v. 12-13).
2. He will cover (ilewv = propitious, merciful) our sin.( 1 John 2:2)
3. He will forgive our sin (amartia) and iniquity (anomia)