Summary: When we go through life’s valleys, we need good friends who will call forth our destiny, encourage us in the Lord, and speak the truth to us.
THREE FRIENDSHIPS EVERY PERSON NEEDS
REVIEW LAST WEEK: We starting looking at David last week and Psalm 23 – learning how we can experience Jesus as the Good Shepherd in our darkest valleys.
QUESTION: Did you ever wonder how David – the runt of the litter, youngest of eight brothers, a poor shepherd boy – rose to become the greatest King of Israel?
• He had a lot of opposition: His dad, his oldest brother, and the previous king (Saul) all told him that he was too young and incapable of doing anything great.
• Fortunately, he had a few key people in his life that helped him to become great.
OPENING TEXT: “He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed.” (Prov. 13:20).
• Show me your FRIENDS, and I’ll show you your FUTURE.
• INTERACTIVE: Write down the names of your five closest most intimate friends.
• They say most people have 1-2 friends like this. 25 years ago average = 6 good friends.
FRIENDSHIP DEFINED: A friend is someone you may or may not know well who accepts your friend request on Facebook. This person is born to like and comment on your posts to make you feel good about yourself. (Proverbs 18:24 FBV, Facebook Version).
(Note - thanks to Craig Groeschel for that definition!).
• “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (Prov. 18:24, NKJV).
• Like it or hate it, social media has redefined friendship. Ten years ago, would you have called up your friends to tell them what you had for breakfast? Now we post pics on FB!
THE BIG IDEA: When we go through life’s valleys, we need good friends who will call forth our destiny, encourage us in the Lord, and speak the truth to us.
THREE FRIENDSHIPS EVERY PERSON NEEDS:
I. SAMUEL: A FRIEND WHO CALLS FORTH YOUR DESTINY:
1. Friends Speak Affirming Words to One Another:
“So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking. And the Lord said, "Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!" Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.” (1 Sam. 16:12-13, NKJV).
• Samuel came along at just the right time to change David’s destiny.
• Do you have someone who believes in you and challenges you to be better?
• TESTIMONY: Encouraged in my weekly prayer times with Pastor Darrell. Prophetic!
2. Friends Challenge One Another:
“As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.” (Prov. 27:17, NKJV).
• We need friends that will challenge us to be the best we can be.
• TESTIMONY: David – I challenge him in his Bible study, he challenges me in P90X.
II. JONATHAN: A FRIEND WHO ENCOURAGES YOU IN THE LORD:
3. Friends Love at All Times:
“Now when he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day, and would not let him go home to his father's house anymore. Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul. And Jonathan took off the robe that was on him and gave it to David, with his armor, even to his sword and his bow and his belt.” (1 Sam. 18:1-4, NKJV).