Summary: Practical principles for walking in the Spirit and not after the flesh.
Laws of spiritual life
I. Importance of Spiritual life
A. Flesh vs. spirit
a. Flesh includes the natural part of man apart from God.
b. Soul--mind,will, emotion
c. Flesh--reproduction, hunger, self-preservation
B. 1 Cor. 2:9-3:2
1. 2:9, what God has prepared for us is not received outwardly or discovered in our natural minds. So he who desires to know and commune with god can rely upon his own intellect and mind
2. 2:10, God reveals. It is a gift of revelation, not an exercise of the flesh. The next two verses tell us HOW God reveals things to us.
a. The Holy Spirit alone knows the things of God and gives us revelation by HS (must be born again). Verse 11 tells us that it is in our spirit that we can understand the things of God.
3. 2:13, Paul seeks not just to inform with his words, but to IMPART truth to anothers spirit, not just give information to the minds of others.
a. We need to ask God to give us utterance, not just try to explain or argue truths with natural arguments,
4. 2:14, The NATURAL man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God.
a. natural, HEB. is psuche or soulical. In other words, a man who is governed by the soul realm cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God.
b. These soulish people are those who have not received the life of the Spirit of God in their spirits and have only natural endowment because they are dead to God.
c. A regenerated man, if he attempts to communicate with God using his mind and observation (like the unsaved) instead of exercising his renewed spirit is powerless to perceive the realities of God. HE THINKS THE THINGS OF GOD ARE FOLLY!
d. They are spiritually discerned. The HS repeatedly stresses the fact that man’s spirit is the place of communion with God. The mind is very importatn, but must keep soulish facilities in secondary importance to spirits.
5. 2:15, a spiritual man is one whose spirit dominates and who has a highly sensitive intuition. The quiet voice of the spirit is undisturbed by emotion, mind and will of the soul, but actually assisted by it.
a. Spiritual man can judge because he leans on intuition of the Holy Spirit.
6. 2:16, But we…indicates we are different from people governed by the soul. We who have been regenerated posses the mind of Christ and need to listen
7. 3:1-3, Though all christians posses a regenerated spirit, not all Christians are spiritual. Many are still fleshly!
a. just as a man’s senses are not born with a matured awareness, so a believer’s intuition is not born highly sensitive.
b. Eph 1:17, we need to pray for increased revelation, discernment and intuition.
c. Too often we do not wait on the Lord for his wisdom and revelation because we are so preoccupied with our natural life…our lives are too dominated by the 3 desires of the body or soul.