Summary: Searching for Messiah.
A. WHAT IS KNOWN FOR SURE? MATTHEW 2:1-12
1. They saw the star in the East and in Jerusalem.
2. Brought three gifts.
3. They were searching for Messiah.
4. They were told to find the Christ and report back to Herod.
5. Were divinely warned in a dream not to tell Herod.
B. WHAT CAN WE KNOW FROM HISTORY?
1. Why three? They represented the three divisions of humanity. “Now this is the genealogy of the sons of Noah: Shem (Europe), Ham (Africa), and Japheth (Asia)” (Gen. 10:1).
2. What were their names? Their names were discovered by Helena, mother of Constantine, Roman Caesar (274-337 A.D.)
a. Melchior, from Persia.
b. Balthazar, from Ethiopia.
c. Gasper, from Europe.
3. Were they kings? The Bible calls them magi (Wisemen). In Persia, a caste of astronomers/scholars/advisors to politicians.
4. Why do some call them kings? Melchior was 12th in the line of Gautama, King of Persia, who was also a magi. They were of the same caste.
5. What kind of star did they see in Persia?
a. Some think it was planets coming together.
b. Some think Halley’s Comet.
c. Some think it was angels who appeared to shepherds 800 miles away.
d. Some think it was the Shekinah glory cloud.
6. How old was Jesus when they arrived in Bethlehem? “When they had come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary His mother” (Matt. 3:11).
a. Shepherds visited a stable, kings visited a house.
b. Shepherds worshiped a baby in arms, kings worshiped a child who could walk.
7. How did wise men know the star was about a baby born King of the Jews?
a. Wise men had copies of Old Testament.
b. Melchior had a copy of Pentateuch star. Balthazar had copy of Psalms, God had a Son. Gasper had copy of prophets, a ruling king.
8. What can we know from the three gifts?
a. Gold coins passed from King Gautama to Melchior.
b. Frankincense from Balthazar represents burning incense of priestly prayer worship.
c. Myrrh from Gaspar represents crushed or suffering Savior.
9. The warning in a dream for the protection of Jesus.
C. WHAT WAS ADDED TO COMPLETE THE STORY?
1. The slave market brought 3 nationalities together.
2. Living in a chantry, the name for a residence of a Wiseman.
3. They naturally studied the stars when they saw a supernatural phenomenon.
4. A servant named Jewel gave added divine insight (Heb. 13:2). “Some have unwittingly entertained angels.”
5. Satan tried to stop each magi from finding the Christ child.
a. Melchior, pride or power.
b. Balthazar, seduction of flesh.
c. Gaspar, possessing lust of eyes.
6. Herod’s attempt to divert their journey.
7. Their trip back to Persia on East side of Dead Sea.
8. Their ultimate conversion, baptism, and death.
9. Professor Legna Lewej, PhD., Archeology, lectures at Liberty University to separate myth from truth. He was Jewel the angel.
D. WHAT LESSON CAN WE LEARN FROM WISEMEN
1. The coming of God’s Son has been announced.
2. We must act on what we know.
3. Satan will try to block our attempt to get to Jesus.
4. We must fall on our face to worship Jesus.
5. We must bring sacrificial gifts to Him.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc.
Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns’ email is email@example.com.
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com.