Summary: What Does The Bible Say About Prosperity & Success? ❶. Is it Wealth? ❷. Is it Approval? ❸. Is it Ministry?
- Merriam-Webster - the condition of being successful or thriving
- America according to Legatum is slipping in success & prosperity
- Legatum is an international investment group which measures the prosperity of 104 countries
- Legatum, Latin for legacy or gift
- 2007 US Ranked #1
- 2008 US Ranked #3
- 2009 US Ranked #9
Which Spells Success?
• Being able to afford a newer, larger home.
• Leading your neighbor to Christ.
• Finally getting that promotion.
• Seeing your children walk with the Lord.
• Enjoying a stable, happy marriage.
• Achieving your career goals.
• Having the support of many good friends.
• Watching God change lives through your ministry.
• Making enough money to provide for all your needs and many of your wants.
• Having a quiet time every day
– I want it all
What Does The Bible Say?
– How does God define success?
1. Is it Wealth?
- Revelation 3:16-17KJV
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
2. Is it Approval
- Good reputation
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
3. Is it Ministry?
- People coming to Christ & growing?
- Just 8 People at the flood
- Lot had had his wife & two daughters
- Moses - Israel rebelled and wandered for 40 years
- Jeremiah faithful to the Lord
2 But neither he, nor his servants, nor the people of the land, did hearken unto the words of the LORD, which he spake by the prophet Jeremiah.
His Definition of Success
23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
Understanding & Knowing Him
- Jer 9:24
- He is Holy
- We are sinners
- Only the blood of Christ can rescue us
- Repent of Sin
- Obedience to His Word
Paul who shall deliver me?
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Discovery is Through His Word
7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
9 Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper in all that ye do.
1 Kings 2:3KJV
3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
13 Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed.
5 And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper.
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.