Summary: God’s word is a treasure in your heart.
Ps 119:9-11 How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
a.) This is probably one of the most popular, deep & profound verse of scripture found in the O.T.
- It reveals the deep desire, the deep longing of one who wants to live right before God!
- & he specifically asks “how can a young person stay on the path of purity?”
- & he answers his own question, “by living according to your word”
- The psalmist understood that God’s word was the heart & mind of God & profitable for living & overcoming in life!
1. Now, the Psalmist begins verse 11 by acknowledging God’s word.
2. The Psalmist says “Thy word” which means “commandment, speech, word”
b.) In the O.T. the word of God played a major part in the lives of many of the bible patriarchs & figures!
First of all concerning God’s word, in Gen, we see God speaking the world into existence by his spoken word!
So in that we know that the word of God is very powerful!
1. In the O.T. the word of God was revered as real, truth & powerful!
-For them, it was there guide, their instruction, their inspiration, their strength, comfort, protection & means of prosperity or success!
Jos 1:8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Deu 5:32 So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. (33) Walk in obedience to all that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.
2. King David said: That the word of the lord was “flawless” in 2 Sam 22:31
3. It was considered fulfilling to the soul & to make one wise, complete & totally secure! (Ps 19:7)
Psa_119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
Psa_119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me. (revived me, or brought me to a place of life)
Psa_119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Psa 119:105 Your word is like a lamp that guides my steps, a light that shows the path I should take.
c.) Basically God’s word was His promise!
1. The O.T. teaches us that when everything else fades, fails & disappears, the word of God will stand forever! Isa 40:8
Isa 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.
2. This is talking about God’s word in terms of His promises!
- God’s promises will never fade, fail or disappear!
2. The N.T.
a.) The N.T. teaches us that God’s Word is alive, active & powerful!
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick ( or alive), and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.