Summary: The church can speak scripture. Yet it masks immorality
A man walked up to a vending machine, put in a coin, pressed the buttons labeled, “coffee, double cream, sugar.” No cup appeared, but the nozzles went into action sending forth coffee, cream and sugar. After the proper amounts had gone down the drain, the machine turned off. “Now that’s real automation,” said the man. “This thing even drinks it for you.” That is just how some people want their faith. They want to make a deposit, put in some money and let the rest be taken care of automatically. But, there is no such thing as automated prayers, devotion, worship in song
Church At Thyatria
- Wanted it their way
- Thyatria - Famous for it’s purple dye
- First mentioned in Acts 16:14-15
- Acts 16:14-15KJV
14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. 15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.
Slipping In Discipline
- Church is in trouble with Christ
- v. 18 He is angry
- Self Adsorption & Materialism
- Smallest church of the seven
- Most verses spoken to it
- During the 400’s The Dark Ages
- Rise of the Papacy & Mass was introduced
- (literal body & blood of Christ
- Thyatira comes from two words meaning “sacrifice” & “continual”
- Sounds like RC - Denying the finished work of Christ
- But praying to Mary
- Yet continuing in sacrifice like Penance, Candles, Praying for the dead
v. 19 Called Faithful
- It worked It loved & it endured
- v. 19 - Six commendations
- Began & ended with works
- v. 20 - Permitted evil
- Tolerated Jezebel Practice immorality
- A glimpse or her in “Bloody Mary”
- 1 K. 16:30-32; 18:4, 13, 19
- Naboth’s Vineyard 1 K. 21:7-10
- Her dath 2 K. 9:30-37
- She brought her gods to Ahab- Introducing Baal worship
- Killed the Lord’s prophets
- Had 850 personal prophets
- Jezebel = “Baal exalts” or “Baal is husband to” or “unchaste”.
- She was designing, crafty, malicious, revengeful, cruel, self-willed and forceful
- Her ACLU was that her god was to at least equal with the Lord
- She is the first great instigator of persecution against God’s people
- Her name is synonymous for wickedness
- v. 20 called herself a prophetess
- Could speak scripture
- Masking immorality compatible
- v 22 Repentance
- v. 25 Perseverance — Hold fast
- v. 26 Obedience — Keep my works
8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
1. v. 24 - Burdens relieved . - Freedom from evil, what a blessing!
2. v. 26-27 Exaltation to authority. “To him I will give power over the nations.”
- Sharing dominion with Christ
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3. v. 28 The possession of Christ. “I will give him the morning star,” - I will give him Myself
16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
- My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace, Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God.
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.