Summary: A sermon that teaches to not be frightened by the waves around you but to look at the savior. Too many times we are preoccupied with those things around us and we end up knee deep in turmoil.
Time to get out of the Boat
Text: Matthew 14:29-33 (MSG)
29 He said, "Come ahead. " Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus.
30 But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"
31 Jesus didn’t hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?"
32 The two of them climbed into the boat, and the wind died down.
33 The disciples in the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshipped Jesus, saying, "This is it! You are God’s Son for sure!"
· For so long we have been comforted by our own security
· We done things a certain way for years and that is what we are used to
· We have our health insurance, life insurance, home owners insurance, marriage counselors/consultants, palm readers/ fortune tellers, 401K, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and IRA’s
“We love to have security and all the answers”
· We want the opinion of an expert on our health
· We want a professional opinion why our marriage is failing and our kids are rebelling
· We want to have a portfolio that will ensure financial security
· We consult with psychics for unanswered questions
There is not wrong with being smart, but when you put more trust in the things of this world than God. Then there is a serious problem.
· We can stay in the boat and be safe. So we think!
· No one ever thought that the Titanic would sink.
· Unfortunately it took down a lot of people with it.
It is time we turn everything over to God!
· Our Health Issues
· Our Relationships/Families
· Our Finances
Which requires us to get out of the boat
· At that point, Peter was totally focused on the Lord
· But then he got scared, doubt set in, and he began to sink
· The storm and raging sea represents life and all it problems.
Proverbs 3:7 (KJV)
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
· We can’t continue on down a road where we think we know where we are going; only to find out we are lost
· In order to get where we need to go, we have to follow directions from God
· We must have faith in him, not partially but totally
· A very important step
· The beginning of unimaginable blessings and spiritual experiences
Hebrews 11:6 (KJV)
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Therefore we must step towards:
· The storms may also represent the valleys
· It is when we are out of the boat or off the mountaintop that God can take over control of our life.
Hebrews 13:6 (KJV)
5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
· When you are surrounded by what seems to insurmountable odds, know that you have help in your time of trouble.
· A Big Brother/ Tag Team partner