Summary: Timothy was an example of a person who lived and demonstrated the Lordship of Christ in his life and character.
Timothy, a Bright Shinning Star
Text, Philippians 2:19-24
1) Last week’s sermon we as Christians are to shine like stars as a witness for Christ.
2) We are to be witnesses by our words, walk, and our works.
3) We are to follow the example of the brightest stars such as Christ and apostle Paul.
The example of Christ; (Philippians 2:5-8)
Christ gave up His rights, He became a bond-servant, He humbled Himself and gave His life as a sacrifice.
The example of Apostle Paul;
He as a bond-servant (1:1), he had the love of Christ for others (1:8)
Christ was the center of his life (1:21), he poured his life out as a drink offering (2:17)
I. Timothy’s Background
A. His family
1. Born in Lytra, part of present day Turkey
2. He had a Jewish mother, Eunice and a Greek Father
B. His Spiritual development
1. He was taught from a child the Old Testament scriptures
2. He was saved and committed his life during Paul’s 1st missionary journey.
C. His Service for Christ
1. He joined Paul on his 2nd missionary journey and stayed with him on his
journeys for about 10 years.
2. He became the pastor of the church of Ephesus
II. Timothy’s Character
A. He had a Similar spirit as apostle Paul
1. He became like Paul in being a bond-servant of Christ (1:1)
2. Paul mentored Timothy for 10 years and became as a son to him.
B. He had a Sympathetic heart
1. He was concerned for the welfare of others and was not self-seeking.
2. He had a true shepard’s heart
C. He was Single-minded
1. He wasn’t double minded, he was undecided on who would rule his life,
between Christ and self.
2. He sought the interest of Christ. He was Christ-centered
D. He was a Seasoned servant
1. He had proven worth because he passed the test of years of ministry.
2. He proved himself genuine in his life and ministry.
E. He had a Submissive Attitude
1. He served with Paul
2. “Like a child serving his father”
F. He had a Sacrificial life
1. He gave up his personal agenda to travel with Paul and to be sent on
2. He gave his life in service for the furtherance of the gospel.
What kind of an example are you?
Do you have a genuine care for the wellbeing of others?
Do you seek just after your own interests and not those of Christ?
How much are you willing to sacrifice for the furtherance of the gospel?