Summary: Acts 20:33 [The apostle Paul said] I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold. •• It is never our intent at CARIDAD UNIDA CHRISTIAN CHURCH to covet your finances. •• But there is an area of finances that we do covet — that is, that the Lord receive his
Acts 20:33 [The apostle Paul said] I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold.
•• It is never our intent at CARIDAD UNIDA CHRISTIAN CHURCH to covet your finances.
•• But there is an area of finances that we do covet — that is, that the Lord receive his tithe.
•• Leviticus 27:30, 32 A tithe of everything from the land...BELONGS TO THE LORD...
• An OVERVIEW of tithing in the Bible:
•• Wealthy Abraham, the first great patriarch of Israel, gave tithes centuries before Moses’ Law (Genesis 14).
•• Poor Jacob, the father of the twelve tribes of Israel, gave the tithe, also before the Law — Genesis 28:22 “And of all that you give me I will give you a TENTH.”
•• In the Law that God gave through Moses to God’s people, there were clear commandments to give tithes —
• Leviticus 27:30, 32 A tithe of everything from the land...belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the Lord. ... The entire tithe of the herd and flock — every tenth animal ... — will be holy to the Lord.
• Ten lambs born? They gave the Lord one. Ten bushels of wheat harvested? They gave the Lord one. They tithed on the "gross" increase.
• My tithe “belongs [not to me, but] to the Lord.”
• 1,500 years after Moses received the Law, Jesus REAFFIRMED in His day the validity of tithing:
Matthew 23:23 Woe to you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! YOU GIVE A TENTH of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE FORMER.
•• Later in the New Testament, in 1 Corinthians, ch. 9, the apostle Paul teaches on the financial support of the work of God and uses commands from Moses’ Law as guidelines — 1 Corinthians 9:8 "Doesn’t the Law say the SAME thing?" (referring to how the priests lived on the tithes and offerings). Paul brought the principle of the Levitical tithe — "the SAME thing" — over to the support of New Testament ministry.
• Should Christians tithe? The words of both Jesus and Paul seem clearly to bring tithing into New Testament times.
•• In the history of the New Testament Church since the first century, tithing has been commonly, although not universally, taught and practiced.
• In fact, tithing was a common religious practice in many nations in the ancient world.
WHY I BELIEVE IN TITHING:
1. As we have just seen, it is a Bible doctrine with CONTINUITY in the Scriptures, before, during, & after Moses’ Law.
2. Leviticus 27:30, 32 A tithe of everything from the land ... BELONGS TO THE LORD; it is holy to the lord.... The entire tithe of the herd and flock ... will be holy to the Lord.
•• The tithe is not mine to withhold; it BELONGS to the LORD. “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof.”
3. 2 Chronicles 31:12 Then they FAITHFULLY brought in the contributions, tithes and dedicated gifts.
•• Tithing is an indicator of our FAITHFULNESS. It’s a weekly, semimonthly, or monthly opportunity to demonstrate to God your faithfulness and commitment to His work on earth.
4. 2 Chronicles 31:5 As soon as the order went out, the Israelites GENEROUSLY gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a TITHE of everything.
•• Tithing is an indicator of our GENEROSITY. And God takes notice of the attitude of generosity: “God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). “A generous man will himself be blessed” (Proverbs 22:9).
5. Numbers 18:21 I give to the LEVITES all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance IN RETURN FOR THE WORK THEY DO while serving at the Tent of Meeting.
•• Tithing allows God-called ministers to devote themselves fully to the Lord’s work.
• Levites/priests in the Old Testament, fivefold ministers (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers) in the New Testament.
Malachi 3:8-10 "Will a man ROB GOD? Yet you rob me.” But you ask, ’How do we rob you?’ "In TITHES AND OFFERINGS. (9)You are under a curse — the whole nation of you — because you are robbing me. (10) Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
6. Why do I believe in tithing? I wouldn’t want to take a chance on God considering me a ROBBER!
7. Why do I believe in tithing? Because God says He wants His “house” to be ABUNDANTLY supplied.