Summary: This is the 6th sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks". This is also a New Year’s Sermon. This sermon looks at three types of people. Which category are you?
Sunday Morning December 29, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: Church On The Rocks [#6] (New Year¡¦s)
TO BE OR NOT TO BE?
1. Every year on the Sunday before New Year¡¦s I preach a sermon about how we should approach the New Year. I¡¦m going to do the same this morning, but I am praying that the results in my life and yours would be different this New Year.
2. I want to ask you a question from the famous Shakespearean quote. ¡§To be or not to be? That is the question.¡¨ As a Christian are you going to act, think, talk, behave, etc¡K as a Christian this New Year or not?
3. The Bible teaches us that we are to be different than those that are not Christians. In our text this morning we find three types of persons. Do you remember the game show ¡§Let¡¦s Make A Deal¡¨? On this show contestants would choose between door #1, #2, or #3. Behind some of the doors were really great prizes, but behind other doors were terrible prizes. This morning I want us to look behind 3 doors and see the types of people behind each door. Which door represents your life and would God be pleased with what He finds or saddened? Let¡¦s look behind¡K
Door #1: The Natural Person
1. This person is a lost person who lives their life like a lost person.
2. Characteristics of the natural person:
„« The natural person does what comes natural.
„« No concern for spiritual things.
„« No understanding of spiritual things.
„« Controlled by Satan and this world.
3. Is God pleased by the life of this type of person? What does this person need? Jesus as Savior! Let¡¦s look behind¡K
Door #2: The Spiritual Person
1. This person is saved and lives their life like they are saved.
2. Characteristics of the spiritual person:
„« The spiritual person does what comes supernaturally.
„« Has understanding of spiritual things through the Spirit.
„« Is taught by the Spirit.
„« Has the mind of Christ.
3. Is God pleased with this person? Of course God is pleased. The question is, ¡§How do you live this way?¡¨ The things of God are always priority. Much time is spent in prayer and study of God¡¦s Word. God makes the decisions. Have you ever heard of someone controlling someone else through mind control? As Christians we are to be out of our minds and have the mind of Christ.
Door #3: The Carnal Person
1. This person is saved but lives like a lost person.
2. Characteristics of the carnal person:
„« The carnal person does what comes unnatural.
„« Is a spiritual baby.
„« Is worldly.
„« Is selfish and divisive.
3. Is God pleased with this person?
1. This morning as you prepare to go into the New Year, you must be honest with yourself. Which door are you standing behind?
2. If you are the Natural Person, you have no hope and what you need to do in order to start the New Year right is Jesus Christ as your Savior.
3. If you are the Spiritual Person, Amen! Don¡¦t stop. Keep following Christ. This also means that you are leading people towards the Savior.
4. If you are the Carnal Person, you need to pull it together because you are hurting the Kingdom. Do you want to grow up? When?