Summary: Based on Max Lucado’s book, "It’s Not About Me", this message deals with God’s passion to receive glory in EVERYTHING that He does.
“To God Be The Glory”
(based on Lucado’s book – “It’s Not About Me”)
INTRODUCTION: We live in a “me-centric” world. i.e., everything revolves around ME … my happiness … my wants … my pleasure … ME!
Up until 450 years ago, everybody believed that the universe, and the sun, and the planets revolved around the earth. THEN, in 1543, Copernicus told them that the earth wasn’t the center of the universe. 50 years later, Galileo said that the planets revolved around the sun. They were so opposed to this idea, that they threw him in prison, and kicked him out of the church. The very IDEA that WE weren’t the center of the universe, was unthinkable!
God has a very important LESSON in all of this … the world doesn’t revolve around YOU … or ME. God’s priority isn’t your comfort … happiness … or pleasure. If God existed to please you & me … THEN … why aren’t we pleased all the time? The TRUTH is … it’s not all about you or me … it’s all about GOD.
If God’s priority isn’t to make us happy … to please us … THEN … WHAT IS GOD’S PRIORITY? God’s priority is that He receive all the honor and glory. If God had a “To-Do” list, it would consist of just 1 THING … “How can I reveal My glory?” “How can I receive the most glory? God exists to showcase GOD.
• Why did God create the universe? Psalm 19:1 - “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.”
• Why did God choose the Jews? Isaiah 43:7 – “Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.”
• Why does God allow troubles in our life? Psalm 50:15 – “And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.”
• Why did God send Jesus to earth? John 17:4 – “I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.”
God wants the SPOT-LIGHT on HIM! EVERYTHING that God does, it to give Him glory!
NOW … this doesn’t mean that God has an EGO PROBLEM. If you or I did everything we do for the purpose of receiving honor and glory, we would be considered arrogant … egotistical … conceited … pompous.
BUT … God doesn’t do everything so His glory will be revealed for HIS OWN good. God wants His glory revealed in everything that happens … FOR OUR GOOD … so we can WITNESS His glory … AND be a witness OF His glory.
God wants us to SEE His glory … SO … we can REFLECT it to the rest of the world. We are to be like the MOON. The moon doesn’t have any light of its own … it REFLECTS the light of the sun. We are to be “Son-Reflectors” … and reflect the glory of God that He displays for us in everything He does.
2 Cor. 3:18 – “that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him, and reflect His glory even more.”
• LISTEN to what God tells His people - 1 Chron. 16:24 – “Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvelous works among all nations.”
• LISTEN to what Paul told the Roman Christians - Romans 11:36 – “For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.”
• Why do the planets exist? For God’s glory. Rev. 4:11 – “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”
• Why did God give you talents and abilities? NOT for YOU to receive honor and glory … BUT … for His glory.
• Why do you have money … or live in poverty? For God’s glory.
• Why do you have victory, or struggle in life? For God’s glory.
Everything happens … everybody exists … everything was created … to give glory to God! Including YOU! We think that the world ought to revolve around us. Do you really want that? (I know some people who SEEM to want it … want to be in the SPOT-LIGHT). LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING … IF it’s all ABOUT you … THEN … it’s all UP TO you.
God knows better than to revolve the world around you & me. WHY? BECAUSE … He knows that we are weak and powerless … He knows our limitations. BUT … GOD is GOD! To HIM be the glory! THAT’S WHY God wants all the glory … it’s not all about YOU … it’s all about HIM!