Summary: In spite of dysfunctional relationships, in spite of disunity, in spite of disillusionment, I want you to know that God’s plan suggests that, “Together is Better.”
Sermon Preached at Union Baptist Church on Sunday, October 31, 2004
“Together is Better”
Numbers 32:18 “We will not return to our homes until every Israelite has received his inheritance.”
In spite of dysfunctional relationships, in spite of disunity, in spite of disillusionment, I want you to know that God’s plan suggests that, “Together is Better.”
My nephew Kyle has begun playing football. He’s the second string split end. One of the first lessons he had to learn as of football player was not how to hold the ball, not how to run a play, but not to tackle the people who wore the same uniform. We as Christians must understand that we are not to tackle the people who wear the same uniform.
It is clear in my mind that Satan is so bold, so cunning, so deceptive, that he will show up anywhere, at anytime, particularly when you would not expect him. In the first chapter of Job, God is having a church meeting and don’t you know Satan shows up. God asks him what he has been doing and he remarks going to and fro looking for whom he may devour. If Satan will show up at God’s meeting. You best believe that he sees no place off limits and the only way to beat, to defeat Satan is that we as a Christian family must agree that Together is Better.” He’s too strong, too wise, to cunning to fight him by yourself.
That’s why Jesus says Matthew 18:19, 20 “If two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”
Therefore, Together is Better!
Let’s look closely at the text.
a. “All things work together for good for them that love the Lord and are called to his purpose.”
Story of Jacob, Laban, and Rachel of and Leah.
2. Reuben - the oldest son of Jacob born by Leah (Simeon & Levi)
3. Rachel – handmaiden Bilhah – Dan & Naphtali
4. Leah – handmaiden Zilpah – Gad & Asher
5. Leah – Judah, Issachar, Zebulun & Dinah
6. Rachel – Joseph & Benjamin
Moses is talking to Rebuen and Gad about their responsibility to fight with their brothers on the other side of the Jordan.
a. “One Faith, One Lord, One Baptism”
8. disillusionment – apathy
9. In any human endeavor – together is better.
Together is Better
40 years is germane to the ministry of Union Baptist
1883-1923 – clear evidence of together is better
1923-1963 – move for black economics, but equal accommodations and desegregation weaken our institutions
1963-2003 – civil rights and access to jobs and wealth, but a weakening of the idea of community
2003-2043 – the challenge for the church is to fight for our urban communities and to defeat the demons that are attacking our people. If we do not do that, we will wonder. It’s in our hands to determine which direction we will take.
Romans 8: 28 “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to this purpose.”
Unfortunately instead of togetherness which is unity. We have disunity.
Disunity caused by:
1. I have more stuff than you/they have stuff.
2. I live in a better place than they live.
3. I have more to lose than they have to lose.
Disfunctionality leads to disunity which leads to disillusionment. God’s will be done in spite of disfunction, in spite of disunity, in spite of disillusionment because together is better.
Together is better:
1. because your brothers are fighting the enemy: You will read the Israelites have to fight the Gebusites, Amilakets, the Phillistines, and others. Theses represent the enemies of the faith who would seek to deter, derail, or defeat the will of God.
2. they have an inheritance also. God’s blessing are not restricted to the priviledges. God is no respector of persons. He can bless anyone at anytime, anywhere.
3. Until they get theirs, you will not enjoy yours.
1. We will lead in the battle and fight until they win. But look closely, the scripture says that when we lead the battle, God will win the battle. Always remember, that the battle is not yours it’s the Lords.
You will read in Joshua 6 that God says to the Children of Israel when they come up against the City of Jericho that they are to circle the city one time for six days and on the seventh day they are to circle the city seven times. But when they circle the seventh time the priests are to blow the rams horns and the people are to shout and after they did that the walls came tumbling down.