Summary: The Word of God gives several principles in which we're to examine our lives. In this sermon some of these principles are given.
Traits Of A False Believer
by Dan Lirette
Theme Text: Titus 1:16 “They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.”
1- A false believer is one who believes he's of God and yet by his works shows that he's of the devil:
John 8: 41-44 “Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him , We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil , and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. “
In verse 41 we see that a false believer claims to be of God yet in verse 44 we see that Jesus states that they are in fact the children of their spiritual father,l the devil.
Thus we see two components in the lives of a false believer:
- Self delusion (vs 41)
- A lifestyle of sin (vs 44)
2- A false believer teaches contrary to truths found in Scripture (Grace through Faith, the Atonement, etc):
2 John 1: 9-11 “Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ , hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ , he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.”
- Verse 9 shows us that those who deny any of the essential truths of the Word of God such as Salvation by Grace, the Atonement of Christ, etc, do not have God.
- Verse 10 commands us to reject anyone who perverts the truths of the Gospel
- Verse 11 tells us that if we don't properly judge a false teacher that God will properly judge us by holding us guilty of the very thing the false teacher teaches.
3- A false believer displays a love for first place, a refusal to acknowledge and to receive those in authority and is one who goes around speaking evil of those whom God has made righteous and forbids the Children of God to receive those whom God has set in authority in the Body of Christ through malicious words (slander, gossip, talebearing, etc).
3 John 1:9 “I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. 10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words :
and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.”
- We see from this passage of Scripture that a false believer is filled with pride and believes that “he” is the one who God set in the church to “lead it” and slanders and gossips about true leadership in the Body of Christ and actually forbids God's People from associating with and submitting to true Biblical authorities.