Summary: TRANSFORMED – How God Changes Us Emotional Health – Mark chapter 12 verses 29-30 - sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). Positive things you should know about emotions.
(a). Emotions are characteristics of God.
(b). Emotions are a gift from God.
(c). Emotions can lead us to extremes.
(d). Emotions are on display throughout the book of Psalms.
(2). Negative things you should know about emotions.
(1). Feelings are often unreliable.
(2). Feelings can manipulate us.
(3). Feelings can cause us to displease God.
(4). Feelings can cause us to fail in life
(1). Talk to God - Galatians chapter 5 verse 22-23.
(2). Talk to a trusted friend - Proverbs chapter 27 verses 5-6.
• The patient's family gathered in a hospital to hear what the specialists had to say.
• "Things don't look good. The only chance is a brain transplant.
• This is an experimental procedure. It might work,
• But the bad news is that brains are very expensive,
• And you will have to pay the costs yourselves."
• The relatives responded: "Well, how much does a brain cost?"
• The surgeon replied: "For a male brain, £500,000. For a female brain, £200,000."
• The female relatives tried looked shocked,
• But the male relatives nodded in understanding.
• Then the patient's daughter asked,
• "Why the difference in price between male brains and female brains?"
• The surgeon replied: "A standard pricing practice,
• Women's brains have to be marked down because they are used."
• TRANSITION: Now that’s one for the ladies, but don’t be expecting it every week!
• Men & women are different and one of the big differences is often seen;
• When it comes to showing our emotions.
• Let’s face it, no matter what anyone says, men and women are similar,
• But very different.
• In fact, there was a big selling book called;
• ‘Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus’,
• Which tries to spell out very clearly what makes men different from women
• But these sort of books have to generalise because we are individuals;
• And not every woman or man will fit the stereo type.
And when it comes to emotions we know they are:
• Both complicated and complex, both mysterious and mystifying.
• Even the experts are not sure what causes us to experience emotions.
• Both social science and neurobiology have tried,
• But to no avail, to explain the origin of emotions.
• And for Christians, emotions can be troubling, frustrating, and untrustworthy.
• Some emotions seem deeply spiritual; other emotions seem downright sinful.
• Our emotions seem to be both a blessing and a curse!
Question: What do we mean by the term ‘emotions’?
• A lot of people use the terms ‘feelings’ and ‘emotions’ interchangeably.
• Sometimes I do too.
• But there are differences.
• Feelings are senses detecting what you feel through your 11 inputs.