Summary: Do you fully understand what Jesus did for you on the cross? He didn't just die so you wouldn't have to go to hell!
Part I - The Power of His Name
I. Power of Attorney
A. You and I, and every believer like us, have been given “power of attorney,” the legal right to use His name!
B. According to the Encarta Encyclopedia , the term “power of attorney” means the following:
“It is a written document, certified by a notary public, designating a person or party as an agent empowered to act for another person (principal) in a legal capacity. A general power of attorney authorizes the named agent to act on behalf of the principal or signer in any legal circumstance. Most frequently, people will give another person power of attorney when they are ill or for other reasons are unable to conduct their own affairs, or when they are absent from home or business for a long period of time.”
C. Jesus has given you and I, those bought by His blood, power of attorney over His name and His affairs.
D. The authority of the Power of Attorney is determined by how much authority the named principle represents.
E. The measure of Jesus’ ability is the same measure of the value of His name! Therefore, all that is invested in His name also belongs to us for Jesus has given us the unqualified use of His name.
1. Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” (John 16:23-24 (quickview) )
F. Jesus not only gives us the use of His name but He also declares that the prayer, prayed in His name will receive His special attention!
G. Jesus says, “Whatever you ask of the Father, in My name, I will endorse it and the Father will give it to you!”
1. This puts prayer on a legal basis.
2. Under the new Covenant, when we take our privileges and rights and pray in Jesus’ Name, it passes out of our hands into the hands of Jesus: He then assumes the responsibility of that prayer, and we know that He said, the Father would always answer His prayers.
4. As a believer, we take Jesus’ place on earth to carry out His will, and He takes our place in heaven before the Father in prayer.
6. Therefore, He is with us in the Power and Authority of His Name! (Power of Attorney)
II. What Does His Name Mean?
A. To the Father, His Name means more than our hearts and minds will ever grasps. However, there are a few Scriptural references that will help us understand a little of the meaning of Jesus’ name to the Father.
1. First, He inherited a more excellent name than any of the angels in heaven, as the First Begotten Son!