Summary: AJ was born on Halloween and described as a "Treat" according to his mother (or so he said). He passed away with a heart attack after shoveling snow. He was a real people person and leaves a huge gap in the lives of people who knew him.
Family Enters and is Seated
Be with Me Lord
I Stand in Awe
Welcome by Perry Greene
We were all shocked to hear of the passing of AJ Clements. We have gathered here, as is our custom, to conduct a service to remember AJ; to comfort his family; and ultimately honor God.
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11.25-26
A question we might ask is, "Do we believe this?"
Patty asked that we do some important things in this service.
1. We Glorify God
2. We preach the gospel and use some of the qualities of AJ's life to do it
Our songs and our words are intended to honor God; to honor AJ; and to remind us of the eternal realities that we each face. As hard as it is, we all must face the reality of our own passing. One day it will be our turn to go into eternity. Not only do we ask, "What will people say about us?" we ask, "What will GOD say?"
We will continue our service with a song and during the service; Patty has asked that we sing some songs congregationally. BTW, this service is designed to be orderly and efficient as AJ would have wanted.
Song: Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
Obituary by Joe W.(close with Prayer)
Song : Sing and Be Happy (congregationally)
Family Thoughts Read by Kim B.
Song : Jesus Is Lord (congregationally)
Eulogy by Perry Greene (close with Prayer)
"AJ was one of a kind." -- repeated more times than I can count in the last few days.
A master chef knows how to prepare a meal and how to use spices and salt to enhance the flavor of the food. Our God creates communities of people with various gifts and abilities. Then, he will add to the mix people who really bring out the flavor of others. They are that salt and spice that does not overpower but enhances the rest. AJ Clements was that kind of person in the South Yukon Church of Christ; in the Yukon community; and within his family.
I. AJ Embraced Life
* AJ was Busy and Active in his Life -- before and after retirement
Patty said that AJ went out as he lived -- being himself
* He understood the Brevity of Life -- You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. James 4.14
* He understood the source of Real Life [section he marked about the Good Shepherd -- John 10.10]
* He understood that the last two years were a "gift" in which he took relationships even more seriously
o God -- increased spirituality
Envy or arrogant and wicked:
But when I thought how to understand this,
it seemed to me a wearisome task,
17 until I went into the sanctuary of God;
then I discerned their end. Psalm 73.17
Prayer -- But I call to God,
and the LORD will save me. Psalm 55.16
* There are blessings in Trials -- James 1.2-4 [patience = endurance]
I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on the tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.
He noted that first came the date of birth
and spoke the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
that they spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved them
know what that little line is worth.
II. AJ Loved People
* A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17.17
* 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13.34-35
ALL of us have AJ stories we could share -- the reason we do not have an open mic
* Bus Trips -- AJ would visit with some of the older ladies who may have been traveling alone. He got to know them and shared stories with them. Patty said at the end of the trip they may not have known Patty was on the trip but they knew AJ had been.
* Generally AJ and Patty would camp with friends. However, on one occasion, it was AJ and Patty camping. She said it drove him crazy that it was just the two of them; so, he walked their dog in order to meet people (I think it was because Patty knew all of his stories).