Summary: True commitment involves having an authentic relationship with the Lord through daily living and prayer.
Peter was always at the forefront of the life of Jesus. He is often the most preached about maybe because of his failings. He’s easy for us to relate to.
Peter is the one who said – Thou art the Christ. The literal interpretation is – You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.
Peter was a fisherman.
Peter was himself. No matter where he was or who he was around, he was the same.
Today we will look at two conversations between Jesus and Peter.
Look at John 13:36-38
1. THE FIRST CONVERSATION DEALS WITH TRUE COMMITMENT AND THE REALITY OF LOYALTY.
a. The background – John 13:31-35
1. Judas has just been informed that he will betray Christ.
2. Jesus and the other disciples are still in the upper room.
3. Jesus tells them that he is fixing to leave and gives them a new commandment.
b. The interchange
1. Peter asks – Lord where are you going?
2. Jesus replies – I’m going where you can’t go now, but later you will.
3. Peter says – Let me go and I will lay down my life for you.
4. Jesus says – Will you really? You will deny me three times.
c. The problems
1. Peter thought too highly of himself.
2. Peter made claims and promises he couldn’t keep.
3. Peter spoke when he should have remained quiet.
4. Peter was very self-confident.
d. The lessons
1. Just as Jesus thoroughly knew Peter, he knows each of us.
Ps 139 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether
2. Jesus saw the potential in Peter and He sees the potential in each of us.
Phil 1:6 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
3. Jesus asks us the same question – “Will you really lay down your life
Mark 8:34-35 -34And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 35For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.
4. We must see who we really are.
Romans 12:3 -3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
5. We must then seek to be what we can be in Him. John 15:1-11
a. We can be fruitful
b. We can be pure
c. We can be secure
d. We can be successful
e. We can be joyful
2. NEXT WE SEE TRUE COMMITMENT AND THE REALITY OF LOVE.
A. The background
1. Jesus has been arrested, crucified, buried and has risen from the dead.
2. Jesus appears to many of his disciples.
3. He meets them on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.
B. The interchange
1. Jesus asks – Do you really love me more than these?
2. Peter answers – You know that I love you.
3. Jesus replies – Feed my lambs.
4. Jesus asks – Do you truly love me?
5. Peter – You know I love you.
6. Jesus – Take care of my sheep.
7. Jesus – Do you love me?
8. Peter – You know all things – You know that I love you.
9. Jesus – Feed my sheep.
C. The lessons
1.Three questions. Three chances for Peter to get out. Three chances for
Peter to deny Christ. Three statements of affirmation.
2. Do you love me more than these? Friends, fishing, other activities.
3. He asks each of us the same questions –
DO YOU LOVE ME MORE THAN THESE:
YOUR FAMILY ACTIVITIES – DO YOU MISS CHURCH TO ATTEND FAMILY EVENTS?
YOUR HUNTING, YOUR FISHING – DO YOU GO HUNTING OR FISHING AND MISS CHURCH AS A RESULT OF IT?
YOUR GOLF – SOMEONE GIVES YOU A FREE PASS TO PLAY GOLF BUT IT HAS TO BE ON SUNDAY. DO YOU GO?
YOUR KIDS SPORTING EVENTS – WHAT DOES IT TELL YOUR KIDS AND THE OTHER PEOPLE YOU SIT WITH WHEN YOU MISS CHURCH TO ATTEND A BALL GAME?
YOUR JOB – WILL YOU TAKE THAT OVERTIME AND MISS CHURCH? WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT WHO YOUR TRUE SOURCE IS?