Summary: Jesus offered true freedom to those who believed and surrendered to Him. We can have true freedom today.
* Our nation was built on the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
* Lyrics, This Little Child, Scott Wesley Brown:
Many years have come and gone - Yet this world remains the same - Empires have been built and fallen Only time has made a change - Nation against nation - Brother against brother - Men so filled with hatred - Killing one another - And over half the world is starving - While our banner of decency is torn - Debating over disarmament - Killing children before they’re born - And fools who march to win the right - To justify their sin - Oh ev’ry nation that has fallen - Has fallen from within
* What is freedom? Freedom to run away from God or freedom to come boldly before the throne of grace?
* Many try to define freedom. They believe it is freedom to run from God, sin in any way they want.
* Some want freedom to get drunk and use alcohol or drugs, only to destroy their lives and the lives of their loved ones.
* Some want freedom to view pornography and destroy their morals, their family life, and their ability to commit to faithfulness in marriage.
* Some want freedom to kill unborn babies, shaking a fist in God’s face, proclaiming themselves to be the givers and takers of life.
* Yet others want freedom to destroy the sanctity of marriage, destroying family and defying God.
* Every earthly effort towards moral freedom brings captivity and bondage to something else.
I. The Description of Freedom (31)
A. Freedom is not found in belief.
* Jesus instructed those who believed that they needed to go further.
* He was not espousing works-based salvation.
* He was saying, if you had true faith, you would have a change in your life.
* You can believe something without letting it change you, but that is not faith.
* You cannot have true trust and faith in Jesus Christ without Him changing your heart and life.
* Many try. “Lord, I want to believe in you, but I want to remain unchanged.”
* True freedom is found in, first, belief, and then complete surrender to Jesus.
B. Freedom is not found in living by the Law.
* Let me show you something. Romans 7:7-12
7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
* What is that saying?
Illus. Galveston Hotels, built right on the water, put up signs that said, “Do not fish out the windows”. This became a serious problem until management took down the signs. The fishing out the windows stopped. People do not check into an expensive hotel with the mind to fish out the windows. (Hadden Robinson)