Summary: Friend, the most important thing that I want to drive across today to each one of you is to have control over your emotions, are you listening?
Genesis 49:4 “Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel, for you went up onto your father’s bed, onto my couch and defiled it.”
In the case of the tribe of Reuben, Joseph prophesied, "Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, the first sign of my strength, excelling in honor, excelling in power. Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel, for you went up onto your father's bed, onto my couch and defiled it” Although Reuben was the firstborn, the kingdom was given to Judah and the priesthood to Levi, leaving Reuben’s tribe to be small and non-influential. Why? Because of his sin of lust and impulsive behavior! Listen today!
Friend, the most important thing that I want to drive across today to each one of you is to have control over your emotions, are you listening? We cannot be carried away by what we feel but we need to arrest the thoughts and check it out if they are clean and good. Are you there? Did you know that the devil can provoke desire for someone of the opposite sex and thereby kindle you to get into an affair? When strong feelings arise in you, beware, never immediately claim it to be ‘love’ and instantly plunge into it.
What is a turbulent spirit? It is an aggressive, boisterous, rash and harsh spirit, which is just the opposite of a calm spirit. There was a curse pronounced on Reuben because of his turbulent spirit, his father prophesied: ‘Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel.’ Some sins leave a scar that is difficult to erase. Listen carefully!
• Just because you are engaged, it gives you no guarantee to swiftly get into physical relationship before marriage. Say ‘no’ to lust.
• Do not rashly, speedily agree for a ‘date’, arrest the demonic lust and pray for divine guidance.
• Do not raucously and speedily get angry and spill words which would be difficult to gather later.
• Do not hastily jump into EMI loans and get yourself into a mess, gather patience to wait for God’s time of purchase.
• Do not hurriedly file for divorce at the drop of a hat; God at times allows you to handle difficult situations and tough people for a greater purpose of development of your character; endure the heat.
• Do not exceed speed limit while driving, ignore the red light in the signal, curse the traffic cop and say, “I’m rushing to church.” Beware, you may land up in hell!
Calm spirit is the fruit of the Holy Spirit, a heavenly product that only Jesus can give you. Now, look at Martha and Mary, both women were believers of Christ, with an evangelistic spirit because they had opened their home for Jesus to hold meetings; yet, Martha seemed to be ‘distracted’ in the preparations and hence she complained and murmured against her sister Mary. Jesus looked at her and said:
• Luke 10:41”Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.
• 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."
I have seen some godly men with this ‘Martha spirit’ or in other words ‘ turbulent spirit’ and thereby forfeit the blessings of God. Food preparation, arrangements and other various things are given predominant importance than the most paramount need which is PRAYER. Hence we reap only ‘false converts’ who do not even attend church on Sundays and never touch the Bible to know His word.
Friend, the enormousness of the disaster of a turbulent spirit has to be understood today and corrected.