Summary: The Master is seeking a harvest. In lives He’s redeemed by His blood; He seeks for the fruit of the Spirit, And works that will glorify God. A fruitful life is a joyful life
Twelve Types of Spiritual Fruit - John 15:1-16
Jesus taught: "You did not choose me but I chose you that you should go and bring forth much fruit."
Jesus said: "You will know them by their fruit."
Illustration: Imagine the beauty of fields where the tassels of dark green corn and heads of golden wheat wave gently in the breeze. Or picture in your mind gardens where magnolias bloom, roses spill out their perfume, and pansies lift their faces toward the sun. Then think of a plot of land that is a monument to neglect--overgrown with weeds that choke out the growth of what is good, useful, and beautiful. Now let’s envision another kind of garden, one that has to do with spiritual realities. The apostle Peter told us how we can avoid being "barren" and "unfruitful" (2 Pet. 1:8). He encouraged believers to be diligent and spiritually productive, developing the character qualities of faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love (vv.5-7).
Doing this requires effort. It demands that we work on our relationship with God--reading the Bible regularly, praying often, resisting temptation, focusing on obedience to Him, and reaching out to others in love. Peter mentioned the additional benefits of fruitfulness: a growing assurance, spiritual stability, and a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Savior (vv.10-11).
How productive is your life’s garden? (Our Daily Bread) A fruitful life is a joyful life.
The following twelve are types of spiritual fruit that come as a result of abiding in the Lord, His word and the Holy Spirit’s enabling empowerment:
1. Character - (Gal 5:22, 23) Character is the collective qualities that distinguish an individual or group indicating its moral strength, spiritual depth and sterling reputation. The fruit of the Spirit is evidenced with increasing manifestations of greater love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
2. Communion - Jesus said, "Dwell in Me and I will dwell in you (Live in Me and I will live in you). Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to (the vine)." (John 15:4)Without an intimate time alone with God in His word and in prayer it is impossible to evidence the kind of fruit that allows us to be in communion with God and godly people. People who commune with the Lord know how to pray with and for others to bear fruit as well.
3. Care-Giving - Jesus said, "This is My Commandment that you love one another just as I have loved you. No one has greater love (no one has shown greater affection) than to lay down his own life for his friends." (John 15:12, 13) As you demonstrate care for others it is an indication of the appreciation, appropriation and manifestation of His love in our hearts, minds and activities.
4. Conduct - Jesus said, "If you keep My commandments (if you continue to obey my instructions), you will abide in My love and live on in it." (John 15:10)Let us trust and obey for there is no other way to be happily fruitful.
5. Converts - Jesus said, "You have not chosen me but I have chosen you and appointed you that you should go and bring forth fruit, fruit that remains." (John 15:16) He who wins souls is wise.
6. Contributions - Jesus said, "When you bear (Produce) much fruit. My Father is honored and glorified and you show and prove yourselves to be true followers of me." (John 15:8) People who give are seed planters that will reap an eternal harvest of righteousness in greater quantity and quality for eternity.
7. Communication - Jesus said, "I have told you these things that My joy may be in you and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing." (John 15:11)
8. Cleansing - Jesus said, "Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit (that stops bearing fruit) He cuts away (trims, refines, takes away) and He cleanses and prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit to make it bear more fruit." (John 15:2) Allow the Lord to cleanse you spiritually, mentally, emotionally, behaviorally, and physically.
9. Celebration - Jesus said. "I have told you these things that My joy may be in you and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing." (John 15:11)Be of good cheer for I have overcome the world, Jesus said. (John 16:33)
10. Cooperation - Jesus said, "This is what I command you that you love one another." (John 15:17) Fruitful Christians will cooperate with God is doing in the body of Christ.
11. Continuation - Jesus said, "I have chosen you out of the world, even though the word will hate you. If they persecute me they will persecute you. A servant is not greater than His master." (John 15:19-21)