Summary: Exhort congregation that we serve an God who is faithful and true
Look with me at how this world has changed in the two millennia since Christ’s birth. Empires have expanded and vanished; brilliant men and their ideas have enlightened and been forgotten. Poverty, plagues, persecution, prosperity, have criss-crossed with the history of humanity. Men have created inventions that have carved highways through the stratosphere and placed time in chains — so that you can have breakfast in London and lunch in New York City. We have through our scientific genius made this world a neighborhood, but through our moral ineptitude we have failed to make the Church a brotherhood. We have created weapons of mass destruction and entertainment of mass seduction and have failed to use our creativity to glorify the Creator of all things. Drunken with abundance and prosperity, we bury food while the bellies of our neighbor are wrinkled with hunger. Times have changed, ideas have changed, life has changed, governments have changed, morality has changed, entertainment has changed. Yet amidst all this change there is a faithful God who is unchanging. Some of changes world history have been for good, while others are the accelerated depravity of humanity carrying us faster than the unlocked wheels of time can carry us to a cataclysmic destruction. Yet our God needn’t be “New & Improved”; He is already all-knowing, all-powerful, all-wise, all-loving, Almighty I AM.
I. FAITHFULNESS RELATED TO ETERNAL OMNIPOTENCE
2. Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
3. God’s eternal nature is not abundance of time but overarching timelessness of past, present, future as "frozen now"
II. FAITHFULNESS RELATED TO IMMUTABILITY
1. James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
2. Always at the noon-day peak of power (never increasing or decreasing in power, knowledge, skill, experience
3. Only at sun’s apex of strength does sun-dial not have shadow
4. He has no teacher, parent, counselor, adviser, or mentor
III. FAITHFULNESS RELATED TO MERCY
1. Psalms 36:5 Thy mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
2. Psalms 89:2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.
3. Psalms 89:24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
22 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
24 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
25 The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.
5. God’s faithfulness is seen in the constant, stubborness of His mercy
6. Genuineness of mercy is seen in its faithfulness to faithless recipients
IV. FAITHFULNESS RELATED TO WORD
3. Faithful character is seen in the surety of His declarations
4. Word is unstoppable because of His absolute power
5. Word is unalterable because of His eternal abode
6. Word is unchangeable because of His immutable Person