Summary: This women’s faith was so great that even Jesus found it undeniable.
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
They say that man is mighty
He governs land and sea;
He wields a mighty scepter
On lower powers than he.
But mightier power and stronger
Man from his throne has hurled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is that hand that rules the world.
21 ¶ Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.
22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
• According to Mk. 7:24 Jesus was attempting to get some R&R.
• When a mother’s child is in trouble ain’t nobody going to get let alone!
• She was a Greek woman, a gentile.
• She “cried” – to cry out intensely.
• Her daughter was miserably ill, under the power of a demon. (Demonized)
23 But he answered her not a word. (OBSTACLE #1)
And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (OBSTACLE #2)
• Jesus was quiet, His disciples were not. (“Dismiss her”)
• Has God ever given you the “Silent treatment?
• “Crieth” Gr. kradzo, to croak, loudly and brutishly.
• “Us”? She didn’t ask anything from them, she addressed the Lord. (Lesson here)
24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (OBSTACLE #3)
• “He answered” and He always does!
• He was on mission and had to have good reason to change it.
25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
• She “worshipped Him”, reverenced derived from a word meaning to lick as a dog its master’s hand.
• “Help me”, literally, “be my Helper”. (Heb. 13:6)
26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs. (OBSTACLE 4)
• “Not meet” , kalos, not good or right.
• “Dogs”, kunarion, pups or little dogs. (Term of endearment)
27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.
• Quick inventiveness.
28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith:
be it unto thee even as thou wilt.
And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. (Mt. 15:21-28 KJV)
• “Great”, megas, extreme form.
• “Faith”, pistis, belief with conviction.
• “Even as thow wilt”! (“According to your faith”, Centurion’s servant Mt 8:13; Blind Man Mk 10:52)
There are several characteristics of the Godly Mother in this story.
1- Godly Mother’s are Always Busy. (CNN value of work $60,000.00 yr. Minimum)
2- Godly Mother’s are Worshippers.
3- Godly Mother’s are Inventive. [Illus. Evolution of Mothers]
4- Godly Mother’s are Persistent.
5- Godly Mother’s are Women of “Great Faith”.
Do you see your mother in this description?
How about Yourself???
Emulate the example of this woman of faith!!!!
THE EVOLUTION OF MOTHERS
Being a parent changes everything. But being a parent also changes with each baby. Here are some of the ways having a second and third child is different from having the first.
1st baby: You begin wearing maternity clothes as soon as your doctor confirms your pregnancy.