Summary: We are all on a spiritual journey in which God is building us up. How do we respond to his work in our lives?
1. We are on a spiritual journey with God
a. Each is at a different place:
• Some are all in and have a strong relationship with Jesus
• Some are just beginning the journey
• Some are unsure and considering to start the journey
• Some never intend to start the journey with Jesus
b. God is working to build or rebuild our lives on this journey
2. Some of us reflect and say, “My life is in ruins.” – Discouragement and hopelessness
a. [St. Andrews Cathedral in Scotland – construction began in 1158 and continued for over a century. West end blown down in a storm and rebuilt 1272-79. The building was dedicated in 1318. A fire partially destroyed the building. Repairs and embellishments were made until 1440. Eventually the building fell into disrepair and was abandoned. Today only the ruins remain.
b. We have a choice – to give up in our broken condition or embrace the hope that Jesus offers for NOW as well as eternity
c. We have more than a ticket to heaven when we die – Philippians 3.10 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection,
d. The power that raised Jesus from the dead is available to rebuild our marriages; rebuild our finances; rebuild our morals and every other aspect of our lives
4. The Construction Process:
I. The Good News Announcement
Isaiah 61.1a The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
A. God Initiates the Process
1. Announcement to Shepherds of the coming of Jesus
2. God reaches out to the bankrupted souls of the world
a. “Poor” are not financially poor, but “poor in spirit” who enter the kingdom
b. People Jesus spent the most time with – Woman of the night; Samaritan woman; Tax Collector; “Commoner disciples”; cast off as irredeemable and worthless
B. God Gives Good News – “Gospel” – Romans 1.16-17
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”
C. This is the Experience of the Cross – “It is finished” – payment for sin
II. Stop Dying and Start Healing
Isaiah 61.1b he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
A. All of us Have Been Broken, Wounded, and Scarred
B. Jesus Came to Heal Us – Isaiah 53
4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.
• Wounds on His Head – Our Thoughts, Memories, and Experiences
• Wounds on His Side – Near His Heart – the Seat of Our Emotions
• Wounds on His Hands – Actions and Activities: Jobs; recreation; school;
• Wounds on His Feet – where we go in life
• Wounds on His Body – everything else involved in our lives; every abuse
III. Start Rebuilding
Isaiah 61.3a 3 to grant to those who mourn in Zion—
to give them a beautiful headdress [crown] instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
A. Crown = Victory and Life – 2 Timothy 4.8
Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
B. Oil – Anointing of Certain Leaders; HS for All Believers
C. God is Present Giving us Life and Hope by the Power of the HS
IV. Stop Doubting
Isaiah 61.3b the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;
that they may be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified.
A. The “Catch” – John 11.25-26
“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
B. Some things only God can do and he receives glory for it
• How was Lazarus resurrected?
• How did Israel escape Egypt?
• How did Israel conquer Canaan?
• How did a small band of disciples “turn the world upside down”?