Summary: Revelation Chapter 16-18 describes the seven bowls of the wrath of God that will be poured out on the Earth, and Babylon, on the last day. Jesus calls us to be ready for His Second Coming!
REVELATION #16 - THE SEVEN BOWL JUDGMENTS:
“Then I heard a loud voice from the temple saying to the seven angels, "Go and pour out the bowls of the wrath of God on the earth." (Rev. 16:1).
• Note that the bowls of God’s wrath come after the trumpets of His warnings.
• God first gave people an opportunity to repent, but now God says: its judgment time!
• Remember Jesus’ words in Matthew 23:37: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.”
Bowl #1 – Loathsome Sores:
“So the first went and poured out his bowl upon the earth, and a foul and loathsome sore came upon the men who had the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image.” (v.2).
• Why did God do this? “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you...The Lord will strike you with the boils of Egypt; with tumors, with the scab, and with the itch, from which you cannot be healed...The Lord will strike you in the knees and on the legs with severe boils which cannot be healed, and from the sole of your foot to the top of your head.” (Deut. 28:15,27,35).
• Note the similarity with the sixth plague in Exodus 9:8-12.
Bowl #2 – Sea Becomes Blood:
“Then the second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it became blood as of a dead man; and every living creature in the sea died.” (v.3).
• Note the similarity with the first plague in Exodus 7:17-21.
Bowl #3 – Rivers and Springs of Water Become Blood:
“Then the third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood. And I heard the angel of the waters saying: "You are righteous, O Lord, The One who is and who was and who is to be, Because You have judged these things. For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, And You have given them blood to drink. For it is their just due." And I heard another from the altar saying, "Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are Your judgments.” (v.4-7).
• Note – God as the Judge of the Universe is just, true and righteous in His judgments.
Bowl #4 – Men are Scorched by the Sun:
“Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent and give Him glory.” (v.8-9).
• God promises to be shade and protection to His children.
• “The Lord is your keeper. The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve you from all evil, He shall preserve your soul.” (Ps. 121:5-7).
• This reminds us again that God’s wrath is reserved for the unrepentant wicked.
Bowl #5 – The Throne of the Beast:
“Then the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom became full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues because of the pain. They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds.” (v.10-11).