Summary: Sermon in series Spiritual Warfare
Understanding Your Enemy - Sermon 1
Series: The Challenger and the Challenge
1. The Devil
a. The devil is (John 8:44) a murder from the beginning. There is no truth in him - father of all lies.
b. He does not have horns and carry a fork, but probably is in a gray suit and is very charismatic.
c. The devil is a bully. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
d. "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:18).
e. He uses different approaches and looks for our weak places.
f. Our enemy is not flesh and blood, but spiritual forces of evil (v.12).
2. The devil is in action. He goes after everyone.
a. Temptation of Adam and Eve ("We shall be as God").
b. Jesus’ three temptations (Matthew 4)
c. Satan entered Judas before his betrayal (John 13:2).
d. "Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat" (Luke 22:31).
e. "Satan has filled your heart" (Annanias and Sapphira, Acts 5:3).
f. The devil attacks all of us.
3. Overcoming the Devil:
a. Resisting the devil (James 4:7)
1. Submit yourselves to God.
2. Come near to God and He will come near to you.
3. Wash your hands; purify your hearts.
4. Grieve, mourn, and wait. Know your unworthiness because of your sin.
5. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.
b. Overcoming this roaring lion (I Peter 5:6-9).
1. Humble yourselves under the mighty hand, under His protective power.
2. Cast all your cares on Him. Never sin out of desperation (v.7).
3. Be self controlled - no spur or the moment falling into the trap of sin (v.8).
4. Stand firm on your faith (v.9).
c. Do not give the devil a foothold (Ephesians 4:27).
d. "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under his feet" (Romans 16:20).
e. "For he has rescued us out of the darkness and gloom of Satan’s kingdom and brought us into the kingdom of his dear son, who brought our freedom with his blood and forgave us for all our sins. (Colossians 1:13 T.B.L).
f. Don’t go with the devil, because he is a loser. "And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of fire, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Revelation 20:10).
Conclusion: Claim this promise. "No one who has become part of God’s family makes a practice of sinning, for Christ, God’s Son, holds him securely and the devil cannot get his hands on him" (1 John 5:18)