Summary: Jesus has promised that if we will abide in His Word, we will encounter a living truth that will bring us lasting freedom from sin. It’s time to unleash the power of God’s Word in our lives.
UNLEASHING THE POWR OF GOD’S WORD IN OUR LIVES
“The law of the LORD is perfect, REVIVING the soul. The decrees of the LORD are trustworthy, MAKING WISE the simple. The commandments of the LORD are right, BRINGING JOY to the heart. The commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight to life. Reverence for the LORD is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the LORD are true; each one is fair. They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. They are a warning to those who hear them; there is great reward for those who obey them.” (Psalm 19:7,10).
• My desire is to stir up your hunger and passion for God’s Word! It brings revival, wisdom and joy...
A group of high school students who were headed for college were given a quiz about the Bible.
• The New Testament was written by Matthew, Mark, Luther, and John.
• Eve was created from an apple.
• Noah’s wife was Joan of Ark.
• The fifth commandment is Humor thy father and mother.
• The seventh commandment is “Thou shalt not admit adultery.”
OPENING: Discuss first of all the change brought about in my life when I started getting into it.
• Discuss personal struggles staying in the Word and how a Bible reading schedule helped.
• The times I am in the Word, I feel closer to God and have more victory over sin.
“Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free… Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” (John 8:31-32,36).
THE BIG IDEA:
Jesus has promised that if we will abide in His Word, we will encounter a living truth that will bring us lasting freedom from sin. It’s time to unleash the power of God’s Word in our lives.
An atheistic college professor visited the Fiji Islands and critically remarked to an elderly chief, ’You’re a great leader, but it is a pity you’ve been taken in by those missionaries. They only want to get rich through you. No one believes the Bible anymore in our culture. They know better now. I am sorry that you have been so foolish to believe them’.
The old chief’s eyes responded, ’Do you see that great rock over there? On it we smashed the heads of our victims and we roasted their bodies in that furnace next to the rock. If it hadn’t been for the missions and the Word of God that changed us you’d never leave this place alive! You had better thank the Lord for the Gospel; otherwise we’d already be feasting on you.’
JESUS MADE A CONDITIONAL PROMISE:
IF we abide in His Word:
1. We are His disciples indeed.
2. We shall know the truth.
3. The truth shall make us free.
1. IF WE ABIDE IN HIS WORD – WE ARE HIS DISCIPLES INDEED:
JESUS SAID: “Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as ’Lord,’ but they still won’t enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven. 22 On judgment day many will tell me, ’Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, I never knew you. Go away; the things you did were unauthorized. 24 Anyone who listens to my teaching and obeys me is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse, because it is built on rock.” (Matthew 7:21-25).
• The converse of this statement must be equally true: If we DON’T abide in His Word (reading and obeying it), then we are NOT His disciples. Sobering thought!
• • Just because you go to church doesn’t make you a Christian. That’s like saying that if you stand in a parking lot you are a car, or if you sit in a doghouse you are a dog.
• To be a disciple of Jesus means we follow His teachings, but how can we do that if we don’t know what they are?
2. IF WE ABIDE IN HIS WORD – WE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH:
“13 until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ. 14 Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will hold to the truth in love, becoming more and more in every way like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.” (Ephesians 4:13-15).