Summary: 1. Unrecognizable Because Of Doubt 2. Unrecognizable Because Of The Difficulty 3. Unrecognizable Because Of Discouragement 4. Recognition Begins With Scripture 5. Recognition Delights The Heart
Disappointment, doubt, disillusionment, defeat, discouragement, despair, death
- Mary didn't recognize Jesus in the garden;
- Disciples didn't recognize at the BBQ cookout on the lake
- Two on the Emmaus Road they did not recognize Jesus
- The Emmaus Road. v.13 threescore furlongs
- 7 miles. NW from Jerusalem
- Emmaus had hot springs - (used for healing)
- In the spiritual meaning the word Emmaus means “an earnest longing.”
• They were headed in the wrong direction, away from Jesus. They were heading to Emmaus to get away from it all. Jesus, the disciples, everything that had defined their lives was back in Jerusalem.
• They were walking away from truth of the resurrection.
• Which direction are you headed away from Christ, & the truth?
• The good news is Jesus pursues us even when we are walking away
1. Unrecognizable Because Of Doubt
Luke 24:11 (AV) — 11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
- Jesus resurrection seemed to be impossible
- These men saw Jesus scourged and beat and spit on
- They even saw him nailed to the cross and lifted into the air
- Perhaps, the even heard him say, “It is finished.”
- There was no way anyone could live through that
- When things seem to be impossible we must remember God specializes in those things that seem to be to impossible
- If Jesus says he will do something then you can count on it
2. Unrecognizable Because Of The Difficulty
Luke 24:14–16 (AV) — 14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. 15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them. 16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
- Truth has to be accepted
- Sometime we dance around the truth with ourselves and become blinded to our own sins
- We try to justify why we are having troubles and trials but if we would just look at the truth and quit deliberating over it we would see the reason is really ourselves
- They were so trying to come up with an explanation to Jesus resurrection they couldn’t even realize that it was him that joined then
- Forgot Lazarus resurrection
3. Unrecognizable Because Of Discouragement
- They were longing for the Messiah.
Luke 24:19–21 (AV) — 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. v.24 .... but him they saw not
- Discouragement leads to hopelessness
- A hopeless person quits
- They were heading to Emmaus
- Never sees the possibilities
- Even after hearing it from Peter and John they still couldn’t believe it
- A lot of times we get so lacking in our faith we can’t even see the truth when it is right in front of our eyes