Summary: The FINAL study in a series of messages from the book of Romans.
Lesson 1 - THE PLAN OF THE GOSPEL (1:1-17)(1:117)
Lesson 2 - THE NEED OF THE GOSPEL (1:18-3:20)
Lesson 3 - THE WAY TO THE GOSPEL (3:21-5:11) 5:11)
Lesson 4 - THE BENEFIT OF THE GOSPEL (6:1-8:39)
Lesson 5 - THE REJECTION OF THE GOSPEL 9:1-11:36)
Lesson 6 - THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE GOSPEL (12:1-15:33)
LESSON 7 - The Commission Of The Gospel (Ch 16)
1. THE COMMISSIONED ARE TO BE ABOUT THE WORK OF THE GOSPEL (1-16)
These were people who were making strides in the early church. People who were putting their necks on the line. These were people who were offering their bodies as a living sacrifice for Christ. THESE WERE PEOPLE WHO WERE FULFILLING THE GREAT COMMISION. So the theme for this final section of Romans will be "The Commision Of The Gospel." We’ve seen the plan, need, way, benefit, rejection, responsibility, so NOW IT’S TIME TO GO! We’ve been commissioned.
Verse 25 of this chapter says, "Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ." This is our challenge. That we become established in the Gospel Hall of Fame. That we fulfill our commision to the gospel. That we find our specific role. We will look in depth in our class Wednesday night just how each of these played a specific role in the "Commision of the Gospel. "
2. THE COMMISSIONED MUST WATCH OUT FOR DIVISIONS AND OBSTACLES (17-19)
As we have been commisioned by the gospel to spread the gospel, one thing that will always be a factor is division among believers and obstacles. It is truly a shame that these things happen in the church. The reality of why they happen is this. Satan hates the church. By the way, that’s not the building that’s you and me. His plot against the church is to:
1) Divert - Satan knows that if he can get us side tracked, then we will not be as effective in our Kingdom work. If he can get you and I divided and bickering, then you and I will not work together to help others come to know Christ. He has successfully put an obstacle in our way when we are divided. If we are going to fulfill our commission, we must make sure that we watch out for division and obstacles placed in our way because they will only divert our attention from our commission.
2) Pervert - If Satan can’t divert our attention, he will do his best to pervert our beliefs. Verse 18 says, "by smooth talk and flattery they will deceive the minds of naive people." If there is a battle in the whole church today, it is the battle of perversion. With homosexuality and other sin being allowed in the church as acceptable, it is a reminder of Satan’s desire to pervert the church. By doing that, he places an obstacle in our ability to efffectively fulfill the Commission of the Gospel. The world doesn’t buy the lie.
3. THE COMMISSIONED ARE TO LIVE VICTORIOUS IN CHRIST (20)
The one who has been so patient throughout the ages. The one who has allowed Satan to have his reign. The one who has displayed His grace to an ungracious creation, will soon turn to wrath and judgement. Included in that wrath will be Satan himself. How will he be crushed? This verse says under the feet of the believers of God! Based on Thursday and Friday’s study, Satan is causing division and stumbling blocks for the believer. He is also trying to divert and pervert the church. What a way to start a Monday! SATAN WILL SOON BE CRUSHED! He is a liar on borrowed time, and he knows it!