Summary: There is no alternative
1 Samuel 7:1-14 KJV
"And the men of Kirjath–jearim came, and fetched up the ark of the Lord, and brought it into the house of Abinadab in the hill, and sanctified Eleazar his son to keep the ark of the Lord. And it came to pass, while the ark abode in Kirjath–jearim, that the time was long; for it was twenty years: and all the house of Israel lamented after the Lord. And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtoreth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines. Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtoreth, and served the Lord only. And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Mizpah, and I will pray for you unto the Lord. And they gathered together to Mizpah, and drew water, and poured it out before the Lord, and fasted on that day, and said there, We have sinned against the Lord. And Samuel judged the children of Israel in Mizpah. And when the Philistines heard that the children of Israel were gathered together to Mizpah, the lords of the Philistines went up against Israel. And when the children of Israel heard it, they were afraid of the Philistines. And the children of Israel said to Samuel, Cease not to cry unto the Lord our God for us, that he will save us out of the hand of the Philistines. And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the Lord: and Samuel cried unto the Lord for Israel; and the Lord heard him. And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel. And the men of Israel went out of Mizpah, and pursued the Philistines, and smote them, until they came under Beth–car. Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpah and Shen, and called the name of it Eben–ezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us. So the Philistines were subdued, and they came no more into the coast of Israel: and the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. And the cities which the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron even unto Gath; and the coasts thereof did Israel deliver out of the hands of the Philistines. And there was peace between Israel and the Amorites.”
The victory happened in the life of children of Israel at MIZPEH!
God delivered his people at MIZPEH
Before I go further let me tell you little about this city called MIZPEH,
(A) Mizpeh was a city of Benjamin.
(B) It was in the region of Ramah about eight miles north of Jerusalem.
(C) In this city Saul was first presented to Israel has king.
(D) Mizpeh was also one of the place that Samuel visited once a year to judge Israel (vs16).
(E) After the destruction of Jerusalem , Mizpeh became the capital of the Babylonian Province ofJudah.
WHY VICTORY AT MIZPEH?
(1) Because Mizpeh was a choosing place(vs5)
It does not matter where you are. But when God choose the place it will become The Place of Victory;
(2) It is a Place Ordained by God.
(3) It is a Place where God Answers Prayers.
HOW THIS VICTORY HAPPENED AT MIZPEH?
(1) The people believe that there is no alternative. Because they believe .in Baalim and Astaroth before. (Vs4).
(2) They served the Lord Only.
(3) Prayer was offered and the man of God was interceded(vs5).
(4) Poured out water is a symbol of pouring out their hearts to God in prayer (Vs6). Ps 22:14 Ps 62: 8. Lam 2:19 Jn 7:37.
(5) They make sacrifice, you need to forget any alternative.
(6) The people fasted before God. They waited on God (vs6).
(7) The people depends on the Prophet and God, for deliverance from their enemies (vs8).
(8) Mizpeh is the place where God take every reproach in the life of children of Israel.
(9) The Lord draw near them.
(10) If your enemies refuse the thunder of God will come over them (vs10)
THE PRINCIPLE THAT MAKE VICTORY HAPPENED
(1) God help them (12) Ps 12:11). What you need for victory is help.
(2) The enemies came no more(13).
(3) God restored to them what was stolen(vs14).
(4) And there was Peace. (Vs 15).