Summary: Explanation and application of the woman in Revelation 12
Revelation 12: 1,2
*First woman who went to the moon, “Dr. Wendy Jacobson was hired by NASA in 1968 right out of college as a lunar geologist, where she helped support the missions of Apollo 11 and Apollo 12. Then, in November of 1969, when then-President Nixon announced the extension of the Apollo program, she did something that no woman had ever thought to do before. She applied for a selection in the next class of astronauts. Then she accomplished something else that no woman had ever done before. She was selected in that class. In December of 1975, Dr. Jacobson flew on the flight of Apollo 23 and became not only the first woman to walk on the Moon, but one of the first people to explore the lunar South Pole. Today I am going to talk about another woman who stepped on the moon. Revelation 12:1,2
1) Walking on the moon
a. Symbol of conquest
i. Psalm 136:9 (the Bible declares the moon and the stars are the rulers of night
ii. Authority (Gen 37:9) _Moon, Sun and stars represent Jacob and his family
iii. 1 kings 5:3 ( symbol of conquest and property)
iv. Job 1:7 (feet on it) Hebrew= Halak/ the controversy started not from God words in the book of Job, but from Satan proudness proclamation that the earth was his. He claimed every human being was obedient to him. That is why God showed Satan's mistake mentioning Job's righteousness.
1. Keep your feet from the Sabbath (Isa 58:13) God was clarifying his holy day cannot be touch and manage by men.
b. God fulfill promises Psalm 89:37
Messianic prophecy (Psalm 8:6- Jesus will conquer everything.
2) Woman in the scriptures represents
a. Faithful people of God
b. Adulterous woman-Unfaithful people of God
c. Child birth- woman (Isa 26: 16, 17- means tribulation and persecution)
i. The Messiah prophecy
1. In Jewish tradition childbirth is always related with the coming of the Messiah. The new testament illustrates second coming of Christ as child birth pain.
3) Her Outfit
a. Clothed with the sun
i. Sun in the Old Testament
1. Sun worship (the OT prevent to related the God of Israel with the sun)
2. Only 1 quote illustrates God’s power with the sun. (Mal 4:2) God’s righteousness.