Summary: This is the 18th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon looks at the 144,000 in Revelation 14 and examines their lives.
Sunday Evening, August 18, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§The End¡¨ [#18]
VOICES OF VICTORY (Part 1)
1. One of the themes that links Revelation 14-16 together is expressed by the word voice, which used many times. In the events recorded, God speaks to His people or to the lost world, or His creatures speak out in praise of the Lord or in warning to the world. As the world moves into the last half of the Tribulation, Heaven is not silent.
2. This evening we are going to look at ¡§The Voice Of The 144,000. Notice with me as we turn to Revelation 14:1-5 the contrast between Chapters 13 and 14. We go from the terrible things that are happening on the earth to the wonderful things going on in Heaven.
Who Are They?
1. There has been much controversy between students of prophecy concerning the identity of the 144,000. At first glance most, including myself, would assume that this 144,000 is the same group as found in Revelation 7. I want us to take a moment and make a comparison between the 144,000 in Revelation 7 and the 144,000 in Revelation 14.
Vs.1-3: A scene on earth. Vs.1: A scene in Heaven with Jesus.
Vs.3: Servants of our God, sealed on Vs.1: ¡§who had his name and his Father¡¦s
their foreheads. name written on their foreheads¡¨.
Vs.4: 144,000 of all the tribes of Israel. Vs.3: ¡§sang a new song before the throne
and before the four living creatures and the
Vs.5-8: 12,000 from each tribe. Vs.3: ¡§who had been redeemed from the
Vs.4: ¡§These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they kept themselves pure.¡¨
Vs.4: ¡§They follow the Lamb where he goes.¡¨
Vs.4b: ¡§They were purchased from among men.¡¨
Vs.4c: ¡§first fruits to God and the Lamb¡¨.
Vs.5: ¡§No lie was found in their mouths.¡¨
Vs.5b: ¡§They are blameless.¡¨
2. There are two similarities between the two groups:
„« Both groups total 144,000.
„« Both groups have something written on their foreheads.
There are several differences between the two groups.
„« The scene of chapter 7 occurs on the earth. Chapter 14 takes place in Heaven, but only halfway through the Tribulation. This can be explained in that the 144,000 witnesses of Revelation 7 are slain and under the altar by the middle of the Tribulation.
„« The additional qualifications for being a member of this group are not recorded in Chapter 7. The 144,000 of chapter 7 are ¡§servants of our God¡¨; the 144,000 of chapter 14 are people ¡§purchased from among men and offered as first fruits to God and the Lamb.¡¨ This shows that they were not chosen for the preaching of the gospel on earth during the Tribulation, but for a special position at the throne of God before Him and Jesus Christ.
„« Verse 4 tells us that ¡§they follow the Lamb wherever he goes,¡¨ which may indicate that as a select group, they have been faithful in completely abandoning their will to the will of Christ during their lifetimes.
3. As I had said earlier many scholars believe that these 144,000 are the same group, but with the information I have given you let me give you the other view. This view would say that the 144,000 from chapter 14 are the most outstanding 144,000 saints of the Church from the early days of the Church to the time of the Rapture of the Church.
What Do They Do?
1. There are several qualifications for this group of people.
„« They are redeemed from the earth by faith in Christ, ¡§who had his name and his Father¡¦s name written on their foreheads¡¨; they ¡§had been redeemed from the earth¡¨ and ¡§were purchased from among men¡¨. Obviously these men were first born again by receiving Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord.
„« They are morally pure. ¡§These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they kept themselves pure¡¨. There has been much controversy over this qualification. Does this mean that these men never married or does this mean that these men never had sex out of marriage? We know that God as a good thing, not a defiling thing; established sex in marriage but Paul also told us that if a man could stay unmarried, he would be able to focus on the ministry of the Gospel better. Paul also said that if a person did not have the restraint to avoid sex that it would be much better for them to marry.