Summary: The sermon shares sometimes it is important to wait in a place, wait to be immersed, wait to be ready, and wait so they could witnesses.
Acts 1:1-11 “Wait”
Today’s text asks us to wait Several years ago I preached a sermon entitled on this same passage the Significant Pause For the early disciples it was an era of uncertainty so they waited and were told to wait.
1. To wait is to stay in a place Jesus says stay in Jerusalem
• : "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised
• Do not leave Jerusalem but wait in that place that is the place where Redemption was accomplished for all humanity
• Jerusalem was the Place where the Temple was erected
• Jerusalem was the place Roman historian Pliny said "by far the most famous city of the ancient Orient
• Jerusalem is also known as the place of peace "The city of peace"
• Jerusalem is also designated as the place of the birth of the church
2. They needed to wait for they were going to be Immersed 5For John baptized withA water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
• Remain in a state of readiness for in a few days something is going to happen you will be baptized you are going to be immersed in God
• Being immersed in God means that we experience God in whatever place, time and circumstance we find ourselves. Even if we never move from that place our entire lives.
• Being immersed in God is encountering (or coming together with God) God Maybe it means to be Gods image likened unto God Maybe we have similarities of Christ
• We are immersed with Love : “His love is lasting love that will last for all eternity” Maybe we are immersed with his compassion for the other,
• We are immersed with His humility 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls
• Maybe we will find our self-immersed in his Mission to bring life, to give light, to help the poor, to destroy the works of Satan . To make the world redeemed
3. They needed to wait so they would be ready for whatever
• the whatever is you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and the world
• The whatever for the Disciple they were ready to be Obedient to God rather than Man
• They waited so they would become men that were Bold,
• They waited and became men Devout willing to die for the faith they encountered.
• They waited and would be men who lived by Godly standards,
• They waited and would become men of Humility,
• They waited and become men who hungered for righteousness,
• They waited become men who were Just, led by the spirit, Loving, sincere, watchful, and zealous for good works.
3. They needed to wait so they could be “a witnesses”: when Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
• Luke is a witness Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach