Summary: See what it means to wait upon God. We define in Scripture, see how David waited upon God, and how correct waiting creates positive expectations.
WAIT ONLY UPON GOD
A. HUMOR: THE ARREST
1. Even if you’re a person in authority, it always pays to listen to what people have to say.
2. A police officer in a small town stopped a motorist who was speeding down Main Street.
3. "But officer." the man began, "I can explain." "Just be quiet," snapped the officer. "I'm going to let you cool your heels in jail until the chief gets back..."
4. "But officer, I just wanted to say...." "And I said to keep quiet! You're going to jail!"
5. A few hours later the officer looked in on his prisoner and said, "Lucky for you that the chief is at his daughter's wedding. He'll be in a good mood when he gets back."
6. "Don't count on it," answered the fellow in the cell. "I'm the groom."
62 1 Truly my soul waits upon God: from him comes my salvation. 2 He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved. 3 How long will you imagine mischief against a man? you shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall you be, and as a tottering fence. 4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah. 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.
1. We’re looking tonight at what it means to wait upon God. We’re to define it in Scripture, see how David waited upon God, and how correct waiting creates positive expectations.
2. The title of tonight’s message is “Wait Only Upon God.”
I. WHAT “WAITING ON GOD” MEANS
1. Stay where one is or delay action until a particular time, until something happens, or until a person comes; stay (put), remain, stop, halt, pause.
2. Remain in readiness for some purpose; "he found the train waiting at the platform."
3. can indicate eager impatience for something. "I can't wait for tomorrow"
B. ATTITUDE IN WAITING ON GOD
1. PATIENTLY. “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry” Ps. 40:1.
2. IGNORING DISTRACTIONS. “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes” Ps. 37:7.
3. CONCENTRATION ON GOD. “I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope” Ps. 130:5.
“Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to the Lord our God, Until He has mercy on us” Ps. 123:2.
4. WITH LONGING. “I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning” Ps. 130:6.
C. WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?
1. WAITING FOR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED. “In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly” Psalm 5:3.
2. WAITING FOR ENCOURAGEMENT. “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord” Ps. 27:14.
3. WAITING FOR PROTECTION. “We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield” Ps. 33:20.
4. WAITING FOR GOD’S PLAN TO UNFOLD. “But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold” Ps. 106:13.
5. WAITING FOR SALVATION. “I wait for your salvation, Lord, and I follow your commands” Ps. 119:166.
6. WAITING FOR WISDOM. “Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway” Prov. 8:34.
7. WAITING FOR JUSTICE FROM GOD. “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will avenge you” Prov. 20:22.
D. HUMOR: GARAGE SALE WAITING
1. A woman was taking her time browsing through everything at a friend's yard sale. Spotting her friend, she sparked a conversation.
2. "My husband is going to be very angry I stopped at your yard sale." Her friend replied, "I'm sure he'll understand when you tell him about all the bargains you found.”
3. "Normally, yes," the woman replied. "But he just broke his leg, and he's waiting for me to take him to the hospital to have it set."
II. HOW DAVID WAITED ON GOD
1. People who communicate by radio often prompt the other person by saying, “Come on, Talk to Me!”
2. We often make fun of people who talk to themselves, as if there’s something wrong with that. But psychologists have found it’s very healthy to do so and that it helps you focus on the problems at hand.