Summary: Why is it so important that we "Walking In Love, Light, And Wisdom"? As indicated in Ep 5:1, we are to be "followers of God as dear children"; and just as God is "love, light, and wisdom" personified, so we should try to imitate our Father!
Walk as Love, Light, And Wise
1. We are now entering chapter five, we have looked at how to "walk
worthy of the calling with which you were called"
2. Now we are going to learn about our "walk" (or
conduct) which is love, light, and wise
Why is it so important that we "Walking In Love, Light, And Wisdom"? As
indicated in Ep 5:1, we are to be "followers of God as dear children";
and just as God is "love, light, and wisdom" personified, so we should
try to imitate our Father!
Therefore, lets consider how we should walk
I. WALK IN LOVE (1-7)
A. FOLLOWING CHRIST EXAMPLE... (1-2)
1. Jesus love was the perfect example of sacrificial love
2. Let His example teach us how to "walk in love" –
B. A LOVE THAT IS PURE... (3-7)
1. Our love should be free from any hint of immorality or greed
- Eph. 5:3
2. Even words or jokes suggestive of immorality or greed are
unbecoming those who are "saints" – Eph. 5:4
3. This is a serious concern, for immoral or greedy persons. They
have no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ, but instead will
experience the full wrath of God! – Eph. 5:5-7
"Walk In Love", with a love that is sacrificial and free from any hint
of personal gain. That is the kind of "walk" worthy of our calling as "saints".
Our "walk" also bears the responsibility of being a positive influence
in the world in which we live, and this Paul discusses as we now
consider our need to Walk as Light
II. WALK AS LIGHT (8-14)
A. WE ARE NOW "LIGHT IN THE LORD"... (8-10)
1. Before coming to Christ, we were once "darkness"; but now we are
"light in the Lord" and should walk as Christ did – Eph. 5:8
2. The life that reflects light will reflect "goodness,
righteousness and truth" – Eph. 5:9
3. By bearing such fruit, we fulfill our role as "light" by
"proving" what is well-pleasing to the Lord - Eph. 5:10
B. AS "LIGHT" WE MUST EXPOSE "DARKNESS" AND ATTRACT THE LIGHT... (11-14)
1. We are not to have fellowship with "unfruitful works of
darkness" – Eph. 5:11
2. Instead, our task is to "expose" them – Eph. 5:11b-13
a. Things that we must "expose" are often so disgraceful, it is
shameful to speak of them
b. But by "walking in the light" ourselves, we can be a
example of Christ
3. Thus the need to be "light" ourselves, that we may attract people
to Christ – Eph. 5:14
a. Christ gives "light" to those who were spiritually asleep
b. Thus that are in the dark are walking dead, because they
do not have the light of life in Christ.
To "Walk As Light" is an awesome responsibility, and some have allowed
the "darkness" to overshadow the "light", rather than the "light"
exposing the "darkness". How can we be sure to carry out our role as
"the children of light"?
Well this is were "wisdom" comes into play
III. WALK AS WISE (15-21)
A. CHARACTERISTICS OF "WALKING AS WISE"... (15-17)
1. Live carefully – Eph. 5:15
a. We need to watch our step, in order to stay in line
b. Unlike fools, who don’t care about where they are going or
what is happening around them.
2. Take advantage of the time you have – Eph. 5:16
a. You cannot “redeem the time" you have lost, so we need to make
wise and sacred use of every opportunity for doing good that we
b. This is necessary, because the days we live in are "evil"
3. Understanding the will of the Lord – Eph. 5:17
a. Only by understanding the will of the Lord can we be "wise"
b. Just as Israel was to demonstrate their wisdom by doing the
will of the Lord, so we can "walk as wise" only if we
understand His will for us - Deut. 4:5-6
See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.”
B. TO WALK AS WISE REQUIRES BEING "FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT"... (18-21)
1. Fools delight in being filled with wine, but those who "walk as wise" will want to be filled with the Spirit!
2. Paul gives us evidence of someone that is filled with the Spirit
a. Singing praises – Eph. 5:19
b. Giving thanks – Eph. 5:20
c. Submitting to one another in the fear of God – Eph. 5:21