Summary: Walk in the Light! (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reading: 1 John chapter 1 verses 5-10:
• A reporter was interviewing an old man on his 100th birthday.
• "What are you most proud of?" he asked him.
• "Well, " said the man, "I don't have an enemy in the world."
• "What a beautiful thought! How inspirational!" said the reporter.
• "Yep," added the centenarian,
• "I’ve outlived every last one of them."
• Every form of life has its enemies;
• Insects have to watch out for hungry birds,
• Birds must look out for cats,
• Cats must look out for dogs etc
• We humans have our enemies;
• We are constantly fighting germs which cause infections and disease
The Christian too has his enemies:
• One of those is what the Bible calls ‘sin’.
• Four times in these verses John mentions sin.
• A party of school children were being showed around a hospital;
• And the nurse who was giving them a tour round asked if anyone had any questions;
• One child asked,
• "How come the people who work here are always washing their hands ?"
The nurse gave the answer;
"They are 'always washing their hands' for two reasons.
First they love health; and second, they hate germs".
One of the enemies that every Christian has to battle with is sin:
• Sin is more than just wrong actions, outward disobedience,
• It is a wrong attitude an inner rebellion or desire.
• Sin is disobedience to what God has said (Bible),
• Sin is living independent of God (very 1st commandment “Put God first”)
When somebody becomes a Christian there are three things to remember concerning sin:
• Regarding the PAST we are saved from sins PUNISHMENT
• It was dealt with at the cross – once and for all.
“My sin – oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin – not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to his cross, and I bear it no more;
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord O my soul”
• Regarding the FUTURE;
• The Bible teaches we shall be saved from sins PRESENCE.
• We shall be changed; 1 Corinthians chapter 15 talks about a new body, and a new heart!
• One that will enable us to spend eternity with the Lord.
• Regarding the PRESENT.
• Each Christian must do daily battle to experience God’s POWER over sin.
• Living a life that pleases God is not impossible;
• But very much possible!
• Within every Christian a battle is talking place (civil war),
• God’s Holy Spirit is pulling us towards him and his ways.
• But our old sinful nature, which finds sin attractive,
• Pulls us away from God towards those things that are wrong.
• We have to choose which one we want to win,
• The sinful nature or the new nature God has given us.
• When I have a meal, I have a choice.
• I can eat junk food or I can healthy.
• My physical and mental health will be affected by that choice;
• Constant junk in and I will become unhealthy.